31 Bertram on Flipper

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

31 Bertram on Flipper

Post by jackryan »

This has probably come up before, but I had never seen it. A 31 Sportfish is the star of this episode of Flipper. Fast forward to the 8 minute mark. Pretty funny, if you watch, the cabin in this boat is much different than any 31 I've ever seen. Also, watch when the dad jumps off of the boat and you'll see the first 31 with a keel. Pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m04LmIw ... re=related

JR
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

The keel shot looks suspiciously like a Shamrock... Interior shots of cabin, (look closley at the exterior shots; nobody in the cabin), and the girl goes into the V-berth. Now that's a hellofa V-berth: Windows & galley?

And that sure is a short string on the chopper. Only a 10' drop?

You're right Jack, too funny!
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

And who said there isn't much room in the cabin of a B31?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You know as a kid you just don't realize what is going on. Take a look at all of the under water shots. The running shots of Ranger Ricks boat. That is no Thunderbird Cathedral hull.

Too Funny.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I got up early to watch every Sunday morning to watch as a kid
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Careful guys! ! ! Flipper is an American Hero....or at least one of my heros.

When I was youngster I collected coke (Pop) bottles and cashed them in for the deposit. I used that money to buy Golden Flake potatoe chips then in the afternoon when Mr Garrett emptied the bottle cap collector in the coke (pop) machine, I would dig thru them and get a couple RC Cola bottle caps.

With $.10 for city bus fare (from the bottle deposit) and 2 Golden Flake empty bags and 2 RC Cola bottle caps, for admission to the theater, I would take off to the Florida Theater, in Pensacola, on Wednesday mornings during the summer to watch a Talant show followed by a Flipper Movie.

I gotta tell ya....I was in tall cotton......I loved Flipper more than life itself.

Well years and years went by and a friend who had heard this story many times recorded several episodes of Flipper and gave them to me on VHS tape.

I could not wait to come home and watch my ole buddy Flipper on TV. We ate supper then I got a shower and settled in for an evening of reliving my childhood.

As it turns out...........that was the silliest shit I have ever watched in my life......your right Tony....as a kid you just don't see it.

But I gotta say.....Flipper, Sea Hunt, one of my Grandfathers and a couple of my uncles are totally responsible for my ongoing love affair with boats and the ocean.

Another hero-Lassie

I can hear Lassie now......"Ruff Ruff"! ! ! Oh NO Lassie! ! ! Did Timmy fall in the well and break his leg???!!! "Ruff Ruff" Ok Lassie....its Mr. Johns well down on the ole Wilson Farm.....

hb
hb
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The "Win Rus" hails from Freeport, NY, at least back then it did. Flipper killed that bull thresher or whatever mixed breed it was, too funny.

How about that beautiful swim ladder on the thunderbird about 5 1/2 minutes in
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I loved Flipper as a kid !
I thought life could not be better than to live in the Keys and have my own 13 Whaler and a pet dolphin.....I've gotten older, but still havent grown up !!
It is funny though....the cockpit is 100sq ft and they are lowering the box to him on the top of a 3'x4' tower.
Also, when the dad hops on the 31, what cleat did he tie on to and no use of a hawse pipe ? ....and, why not leave the revolver on deck instead of going swimming with it ?
Still....I loved the show !
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You can tell the episode was old school.

Bud wasn't holding the flare pistol sideways.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
Those were the days when we were all young and didn't pay attention to the details, I watched all the shows and remember them filming off of Key Biscayne and the upper keys.
He tied off the T-bird to a pedestal in the cockpit, and when he dove into the water to go over to meet Flipper the vessel had a skeg keel and a single prop. The cabin shots look like the interior of an old Wheeler. TV back then was old school and hookey, only 3 channels now 400 channels and still hookey. Who was the owner of the Win Rus from Freeport NY. Those old T-bird tri hulls were great work horses had one at the Marina in Danvers as a work boat, coulded kill it had a outboard on it. Gets me why they transfered the doctor to the T-bird and then towed the 31 to port.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Speaking of boats from around that era -- one of the African Queens lives in Old Saybrook at the River School. As you may know, Katherine Hepburn spent to majority of her life at her home in the borough of Fenwick in Old Saybrook. The attached article details the boat and how it ended up there. What amazed me, is how damned small the thing really is. The article says it is 30 foot -- to my eye, it is a good 8 foot short!

http://articles.courant.com/1995-10-25/ ... iver-steam