Hurricane Theats

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

buzzk

Hurricane Theats

Post by buzzk »

For you Florida guys. I'm thinking about buying a condo in the Stuart area. I would be leaving my Bertram 33 there year around. Can you hire someone to pick your boat up take it to a yard and have it hauled and blocked without me being there when a hurricane threatens? How much does it cost and how do you find someone? Thanks
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

There are tons of capyains in south Florida. My main concern would be having a marina spot reserved, so as not to be locked out. Captain would probably want to be on a retainer of sorts to put you at the top of the list.
Send me a PM, I know of someone that I can recommend.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

There are tons of capyains in south Florida
Yes there is and 99.9% of them I wouldn't trust to hold ten bucks for me for a week and get it back.

Most all hauling facilities operate with what is called a hurricane contract.

You pay at the beginning of the season for a spot should a hurricane hit. Trying to get a spot without a contract is near impossible as there is limited hard deck.

As to the responsibility of someone else looking after your boat? Good luck.

Was in the boat biz for 30 years at two different marinas with haul yards and saw first hand how peoples boats got left as those who were responsible for moving them got tangled up with their own shutters and if moving multiple boats at different yards ran out of time for some customers.

All it takes is a line of 3 boats waiting to get hauled and a travel lift develop issues and your floating around waiting to get hauled.

The yards won't haul unless there is a hurricane warning, by then its usually only 2 to 3 days out. Not much time.

Buy the contract, flights are cheap to get into the area and move the boat yourself was always my recommendation to any of my customers or people that asked.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Ditto what Bruce says. I kept boats at the mouth of the Mississippi River for years with a hurricane bulls eye right on them. Its a 5 hour trip by car and boat from here to there, an hour by seaplane. I'd always watch the projected storm tracks (they are damn good at it nowdays) and assess the risks. If I decided it was time to move I'd go get the boat and haul ass inland, find a protected spot and start a nice party til it was over. Do not trust anyone else. You would be better off just making sure your insurance was paid up, keep double line & finders out, and take your chances at your slip.

Plus, its only a B33.....

yo Fren'

UV
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Buzzk,
I live in Stuart and keep my 31 at Indiantown Marina on the cross Florida waterway canal. The boat is on the hard for the past 6 years because of all the knee surgeries I have had in the past 5 years.
There is a new(5 years old) call River Forest Marina it is just west of the first set of locks (St Lucie Locks) just west of I-95 & Florida Turnpike. They claim to have a hurricane resistant building that is air conditioned, I have been by it may times and it looks to be a 1st class operation. They are not cheap and space is limited and might not even have any openings.
As for someone to watch over your vessel that can be a can of worms, like Bruce said it is easier to do it your self, it's a days drive from Morehead to Stuart and PBIA is only 45 minutes South of Stuart.
A number of insurance carriers, require that the vessel must be out of Florida before a storm strikes, check your policy.
Where about in Stuart are you looking at for a condo? If it's East of the Route 1 high bridge at Harbourage (Loggerhead Marina) that marina is very exposed to the prevailing SE wind and is very rock & roll when the wind blows more than 15 mph which is all the time in the winter.
Call me 561-310-7179 cell if you want to talk about the Stuart area, it's a great boating area.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Please don't misunderstand me, CLEARLY.... the best person to trust with this task is YOURSELF !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Insurance is tricky for sure. Last fall we found out that if the facility can't secure your boat to the ground/concrete on the hard they won't pay out but a percentage of the value. It was okay to let her sink in the slip, that was covered. Go figure.
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

I'm looking at condos at Circle Bay and at Windjammer. I don't think they even let you leave your boats there during a hurricane.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

BuzzK,
My accountant and his wife live at Circle Bay and a real close friend and former neighbor from Salem, Ma lives at the Windjamer. I like Circle Bay better, plus they just dredged the channels and basin last month at Circle Bay. The basin is well protected from storms at both places. Circle Bay's where I was going to keep my 31 before I found out I needed another knee surgery. They are doing over the sea walls at Windjamer and my friend CC Smith is the head of the committee, before he he got involved they were going to have a major assement, now is a lot smaller, he's saved them over 2 million dollars. I don't know what there policy on hurricane is now, but the last 3 storms they made out without any major vessel damages.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Marlin

Hurricane threats

Post by Marlin »

I have a contract to keep my boats at RiverForest, insurance likes this place,it's an investment in loss of sleep time, been there twice before, owner is the dude that owns Charles Marine, avid boater and sincere guy,I highly recommend them, he has 2locations, 1 more inland get a quote