Drift Sock

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill B

Drift Sock

Post by Bill B »

Hi there,

Well, of all the complex questions one comes across in restoring and maintaining a B31, this ranks well down the list. But for the life of me, I can't seem to find anyone that can give me an accurate answer as to the appropriate size drift sock for a B31. I have tried two different sizes, both of which are inadequate - the largest of which is 48" in diameter.

Can someone recommend size and make for a B31? I drift primarily in the Gulf Stream in winds up to 15 kts. Keeping the bow into the wind is essential when fishing for sailfish.

Thanks! Bill
Carl

Post by Carl »

I hear you...I use a 48" just to keep from drifting full beam to the seas. Works okay, but I learned you have to let a good bit of line out to get the full benefit, cranking rudders hard over and running line from side cleat will or a bridle between helps a bit. In a steady breeze I can usually keep bow about 20-30deg off. If gusting...all bets are off.
Last edited by Carl on Feb 26th, '12, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.seaanchor.com/boatbrakes.htm#specs

Looks like you would need close to 60".
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I would use a sea anchor. That is what I use kite fishing on my Bert. I run two kites with 3 baits each. I do not put it way out. Only 15' at most.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Brew, I was thinking they were the same device called by two different names. Set me straight, guys.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tommy

The Sea Anchor is usually used to hold the boat into the seas in bad weather and while laying up offshore. For the 31, the minimum size I would use is 12' Diameter. We used use one that was 22'. Litle big but it was given to us. Used it many times laying up overnight in the Hudson Canyon.

We used to tie two 31's off it. One boat tied behind the other. Never drifted more than two miles all night. That was back in the mid 70's before night chunking fishing became all the rage. The second 31 used to usually drag a couple of lines out for swords. Problem back then was that the swords were on the decline so we never had any luck with them outside of a couple of run offs.

Now the drift sock is usually used to slow your drift down so you can hold bottom or as Brew does to kite fish. The only issue with a 12' or better sea anchor is that for slowing down the drift while bottom fishing it is probably over kill. Plus I would say a little big to handle just to pick up and move the boat for another drift.

You can also use the drift sock to slow the boat down while trolling.

However, I have to defer to Brew on this one, since my use is different than his. I have yet to try kite fishing.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Brewster Minton

I use mine two ways. 1. off the side cleat. I have a short line with a swivel to a short cable that clips to the sea anchore. The sea anchore sits 8' off the side of the boat. I have a small lobster bouy tried to the bag and then tie a 50# chunk rod to the bag which I put in the short rigger. This keeps the line from getting tangled in the sea anchore. Now grab the rod and snap it out of the rigger and real. The sea anchore colapses in one second in any sea. Now with the bag in your hand you stuff the sea anchore in and place on the engine cover. To put it out pull th shackle out of the bag and throw it over the side and put the 50# back in rigger, done. This method also keeps the boat from rocking quite a bit. I do this at nite instead of tying off to a pot. 2. Off the bow about 15' . I still use the 50# chunk rod to pull it in and also put it in the rigger. This way I can retreave it from the cockpit in one second and put it back out without going ot the bow. http://www.landfallnavigation.com/paratechanchor.html This is also an option if you want to keep moving or slow yourself while trolling http://www.landfallnavigation.com/galerider.html
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

Sim, Tommy, Tony and Brewster,

Thanks all for your input. It is great. I think I will try out the 60" boat brake, by Paratech. I have their 12' sea anchor, and it works great. But as I fish alone often, something on the lighter side is always my preference.

You guys are great!

Bill
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Got a 30 ft dia. cargo chute from a army surplus store.. my Hawiian buddy rigged it & helps me set it .. in most seas at night it keeps you still (like youre tied to the dock) Hes says lol
rigged a trip line to release it in morning.. if you need details email me
Wayne
Carl

Post by Carl »

30' Holy Cr@p! I hate drying and storing my little sea anchor...couldn't imagine a wet 30' chute on the deck. I'd guess you would be right about using it to stay put.
Also wouldn't be a bad thing for that Numbnut who decides to cut right in front of your bow...or maybe that's just a NY thing.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Carl wrote:Also wouldn't be a bad thing for that Numbnut who decides to cut right in front of your bow...or maybe that's just a NY thing.
I see it here all the time Carl......New Yorkers move down here and do it all the time.......I just can't imagine that someone from the Souff would do such a thing...LOL

Hell, I've had them damn near bump my boat trying to get on my Snapper Spot while I am on anchor.......I just offer them a beer.

hb
hb
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

harry up here we call that getting mugged
and sometimes the lead sinkers start flying
1968 hull # 316 - 757
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I'd just cut the connecting rope and leave as it wrapped up his props.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You haven't lived until a 110 foot party boat pushes you off a wreck.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Tony Meola wrote:You haven't lived until a 110 foot party boat pushes you off a wreck.
That's what cherry bombs are for......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Brewster Minton

I use ash cans.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Brew & Mike

You know what would really impress me, watching you guys actually do that. I gave up fighting over a wreck.

Funny, you can share certain wrecks with a friend, I have even shared with strangers, but some guys just don't know how to play nice.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Of course, in deep water, just dropping your anchor w/the line cleated off gives you direction. The more line the more direction, depending. Easy to recover and not messy.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Brewster, ash cans, ash cans, you are sure showing your age, kids today don't even know what coal is.