24 Albemarle

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

martinciarpella

24 Albemarle

Post by martinciarpella »

Just picked up a 24ft albemarle express model that was doomed for a dumpster down at the local marina. The motor and outdrive were removed. I have never rode on one, but the deep vee hull made impossible to pass up on this one. So here we go, I'm thinking about building a bracket out of aluminum or fiberglass and mounting a 200-250 outboard on her. I know this is gonna change the performance but the I/O took up too much space at the transom. Its a 1973 but is in great shape, minimum spider cracks and never had bottom paint on it. The boat is definitely deserving of a complete over haul but getting it back in the water and using it first might be a better idea. Has anyone ever owned one or rode on one? Any suggestions about the type of power. Our 31 is about 85% done and so its time to line up the next project. No rest for the wicked!
John F.

Post by John F. »

If its a 1973, are you sure its an Albe? Maybe a Formula 233? My Dad has a 1967 233 that he bought new--great riding boat. Best riding small boat I've been on. The build quality on 233s was only OK--lots have rotten stringers, decks--everything thats not glass. Lots of 233s have been converted to bracket mounted OBs. Do a web search or go over to THT--you'll find a number of posts of guys redoing 233s and Albes.

The 233 hull was copied by Albe, Contender, and a bunch of others.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Martin, I agree with John about the mis-identification of the boat (or the year). Albemarle Boats was founded in Edenton, NC in 1978. The 24-footer has a true 24 degree deadrise, is built like a tank, and rides like a dream.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I had a 1991 24 Albemarle for 6 years before I bought my B31 -- great little boat! Mine had a Volvo 5.7 with Duoprop. Carburated model with a flocan. If I kept the 4 barrels down to 2, I cruised in the mid 20 kt range and burned 7gph -- if I opened up the secondaries -- 16 gph. I took that little boat to places I never should have been in something so small.

My only regret -- I sold it!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Martin,
If it's a 1973 boat the HIN should be on the transom, like Tommy said the Abemarle was started in 1978 in Edenton by the Haight family, sold to Genmar in the early 90's and resold in 2009 to a private investor Ed McLuaghlin, they built from 24' to 41'. I just surveyed a 31 with twin Yanmars, nice boat modified V at 18 degrees. The HIN for Abemarle begins with XWR then length, hull # a letter and followed by the month & year 13 numbers and letter combos. If you find a HIN let me know and I will look up the manufacturer for you. Good luck with the restore.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

I have owned 4 Albemarles, a 24 Express, 24 CC, 26 CC and a 28 Express. Heavy deep V hulls that plow through anything. Very sensitive to center of gravity. They tried a 24 and 26 model outboard and they didn't handle well at all. My 26 had an I/O Volvo diesel, my buddy with the same boat had twin Mercs. Night and day the way they handled. Had mine out at the Rock Pile in 6-8's like it was nothing. My buddy's got slammed around the same day and couldn't track in a following sea for anything. They had to change up the original 27/28 hul to get outboards to work before they hit the market with that model. Rig it the way it came from the factory. Call down to Albemarle and talk to Birch Perry or Carlton Layton at Laytons Boatworks, both in North Carolina. Birch has been with Albemarle forever and Carlton laid up the hulls before doing his own thing, they will tell you all you need to know. Also there is a forum call www.albemarleboatowners.com that can help you alot.
martinciarpella

Post by martinciarpella »

Bingo! That why I came here first.....I picked up the boat 2 days ago and haven't done a full research, but now things are alittle more clear -i.e. measuring 23 ft, couldnt find any Albe close to that year, and the hull # apl. Still a beautiful boat and definitely worth the time.