License renewal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

License renewal

Post by Rickysa »

Last year I decided to punt the renewal from all the BS I heard associated with it. Had some time this am to really look at what is involved....what I learned:

TWIC...I thought this was going to be a big deal, but all it involves is a visit to the nearest TWIC center for finger printing, etc. Drop in, or make appt. thru national TWIC center...appointment takes about 15 mins.

Physical...actually straight forward. Only if your BMI is over 40 does your Doc have to okay that you can lift a 40lb load, etc. (Easy to calculate BMI online based on ht. and wt.) List of meds and if medical conditions are under control (HBP, etc). Again, I thought the changes were going to be pretty limiting...Can't see anyone getting dinged here.

Hours...I didn't document time on the water this go around and thought I'd have to take a SeaSchool one-day refresher course in FL, or SC....nope, you can do it online.

Surprisingly less of a hassle than I had expected (still a paperwork PITA), so I figured I'd go ahead and renew....

Anyhoo....for what it's worth
captbone

Post by captbone »

Did you do it yet?

The Twic card is now waved for smaller licenses and not needed anymore.

I also use an expediter that specializes in this and swear by him.

You fill out all the paperwork and mail to him. He double checks and then submits for you. I mailed him my paperwork, $200 fee and in two weeks he mails me back the licenses. No fingerprinting, no waiting in line, no travel. Worth every penny.

http://www.cglicense.com/
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

I've been pretty confused about the whole TWIC thing...I called the USCG (really nice folks I talked to) and they referred me to "Policy Letter 11-15" (which you can google, or I can send anyone a .pdf copy)

Here is the section they quoted:
a. Policy Letter Solution:

The Coast Guard is allowing mariners without a valid TWIC who operate on board vessels that do not have a security plan to acquire and renew a MMC. Specifically, this policy will apply to mariners who are inactive or not operating under the authority of their credential, as well as those who serve on vessels that are not required to have a vessel security plan. These vessels include:

1. Uninspected passenger vessels of less than 100 gross register tons (GRT); and
n. Vessels inspected under subchapter T of Title 46 Code of Federal Regulations, except those on international voyages; and
m. Towing vessels not involved in towing barges inspected under 46 CFR subchapters D, I or
O;and
tv. Towing vessels involved in fleeting, docking, or ship assist as excepted in Title 33 CFR, Section 104.105(a)(ll).

Mariners on the vessels described above will be permitted to renew an existing credential without submitting proof of holding a valid TWIC. The Coast Guard will implement policies, described below, which will enable these mariners to acquire a MMC without having to make two trips to a TWIC enrollment center.

However, mariners who are being issued an initial MMC, or who never held a TWIC, will need to enroll for a TWIC at a TWIC enrollment center. They will also have to pay all applicable fees associated with getting a TWIC. This is required because the TWIC enrollment center is the only place where the Coast Guard can obtain biometric information (fmgerprints) from the applicant.
The very first line seems to contradict the italicized/bolded portion, which is what had me confused...but from the horses mouth "you need a TWIC to renew"...but it only takes one trip to the TWIC store, not two! whoohoo
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Rick,
My understanding is you have to get the TWIC once. If you have a TWIC you do not have to renew it. If you do not have a TWIC you have to get one. I just drive down to Charleston and walk in and walk out they are very nice people and helpfull. I got a MMD card when I renewed and did not get a TWIC.
My license is not current because of now TWIC.
MY .02
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Ricky,

Thanks for sharing. I just checked and mine is expiring this April. Would you please give me a call at 919-467-3400 at your convenience; I have a few questions to talk over with you. Thanks!

Tommy