CORK FLOORING

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

CORK FLOORING

Post by Craig Mac »

I was reading the current issue of Marlin Mag and a review of the 37 Willis-beautiful boat.

The interior cabin has a cork flooring, does anybody have the pros and cons. Where and how is the material sold and any idea of costing?

Also wondering how it is trimed around hatches?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Craig, a friend had it in his 35 Bertram and liked it. I have it in my kitchen and like it. Pros: nice natural look, durable under normal wear, sound dampening quality, feels good to bare feet, shock-absorber effect when you drop something. Cons: can scar if something heavy slides across it like an anchor (or a refrigerator in my case). Sold at most flooring stores; trim with a utility knife, installed with flooring adhesive. Don't remember cost, but imagine you can google it and get some costs per SF. I think it's a natural for a marine application.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

i know this isnt for YOUR boat because they dont sell it in white!

there was a guy on the north shore who did it, I was at his shop and he was showing me, if I remember it right at that time cost was about $75 sq ft, its trimmed out around hatches just like teak would meaning you can just cut it or you can frame it out, inlays, etc
glued down to your existing deck

cons for me is that it looked like cork, pros are the obvious- quicker install with razor knives and adhesives and the ease of maintenance. Supposed to be cooler on the feet then flexteak flooring. Mixed answers at the time in regards to staining
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

this was the guy, I had met him through a old acquaintance , he was involved in a few different brands of the stuff

http://www.marine-solutions.com/manu_links.asp