The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

captbone

A Bertram race

Post by captbone »

Bill Mckinnon

boat race

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

That is awesome. I have done that before, great for the guys in the cockpit, scarey as hell for the guy driving. You have to be on top of the wheel for sure watching the wakes ahead and eyes in the back of your head so you don't get run over lol. Still was a ton of fun

Capt. Bill McKinnon
Charleston SC
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Looks like a lot of fun and excitment.

Just proves once again that "If you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes"

hb
hb
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

That reminds me of when I was a kid fishing the Bayshore Mako Tornament and they fired off that little cannon and all the boats taking off. We would be in the 3rd or 4th wave and there were still like 5-6' waves in the bay. It was crazy.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

That looks like FUN....been in a few shotgun starts on my dads bertram...pays to have a great deep V under you...notice how the albemarle and the cabos roll like crazy...the 31s just plowed along, a bit more horesepower and the bertrams would leave em in the dust...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I fished the Bayshore Mako Tournament in 1970 or 71----probably had 300 boats---fished on my neighbors 31 with small blocks---another friend had a 31 with 440 chryslers and led the pack--
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Craig Mac,
A shot gun start in the Bay Shore Mako a year or two earlier had an angler in one of the lead boats fall overboard between the bridge and the inlet. The committee boat was notified and they tried to stop the fleet at the bridge. That evening the contestant that took a swim said that he had never seen so many boats wiz by him without ever seeing him. This guy was a lucky camper.
Harry
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Craig Mac wrote:I fished the Bayshore Mako Tournament in 1970 or 71----probably had 300 boats---fished on my neighbors 31 with small blocks---another friend had a 31 with 440 chryslers and led the pack--
Those were the days our little 31's walked away from anything that was put up against them. They were one of the fastest on the water back then.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Tony, It was because of watching those B31's during the Bayshore Mako Tornament going in and out of Fire Island Inlet in the late 70's and early 80's. That I would buy one later in life.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Frank

I can still hear my father as we crossed the bay lopping along at 2300 RPM's, and some guy is on our butt,. He woudl just say walk away from this guy. Crank those big blocks up to 3000 RPM's and the guy behind us would wonder what just happened.

Those were the days.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315