Earthquake and humbling experiences

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hueso

Earthquake and humbling experiences

Post by Hueso »

This weekend I experienced first hand two 5.3 magnitude Earthquakes at about 10 miles from where I was staying. To make matters worse, I was staying at about 300 feet from the beach with my family of five (2 of those are babies) and two of my daughters adolescent friends. Tsunami was a possibility.

At 2:10 a.m. or so we got in our car and drove uphill. My family reacted really well and followed instructions to the beat, which I "blame" our boating experience for it. One of the visiting girls had a nervous breakdown and said she could not move, but my wife was able to calm her down and ran with her to the car. My youngest dauther (14 years old) grabbed both the babies and ran outside the building while I was outside getting the car. In less than three minutes we were at least 200 feet above sea level.

Gentleman, earthquakes are one of the most humbling of experiences I can think of. You feel powerless on the face of nature. I write this post in hopes that at least you make a plan for your family and you in case Mother Nature decides to pull one on you. If you have babies or children with special conditions, always have a backpack ready with basic needs. I don't have to preach you about what you should do but you should always have a plan. I DID NOT have one and the quake got me with my pants down. I consider that my family and I were able to think fast and react correctly, or so we think. (I was staying at the first floor of a 7 floor building and I do not know if it was safer to just go upstairs and wait there instead of getting in the car and drive uphill). These events can happen anytime and believe me when I tell you that the sounds the buildings, doors, beds, etc., make are super scary and confusing. Have a plan with your family and be ready for these types of events.

I want to thank Dug for texting me and asking how my family was doing after the event. As usual, the Faithful representing.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

David
I am glad you guys got out with injury. Not only the danger of Tsunami but the builing collasping.

I cannot imagine dealing with something like that or living in a zone prone to quakes and living in that kind of fear all the time.

Around here Tornados are the most feared natural disaster. As far as Hurricanes you can plan for them.

Glad to still have you with us.

hb
hb
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Your 14 year old snatched up the babies! Looks like you have laid good groundwork already my friend. Stay safe.
-M
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

In heavy weather at sea in a small boat I have seen big strong men crying and babbling incoherently while hiding in the head, and I have seen wimpy 110 pound men assume strong leadership roles and become focal points of strength.. you never know who will step up and be leaders in times of extreme stress.

All we can hope for is that when the stuff hits the fan we each can dig deep and be worthy of the title of Captain, father, or leader.

Hueso... I assume you have told your 14 year old how proud she has made you! It sounds as if she is made of the "right stuff!"
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Quick thinking and cool heads always prevail.

I think you opted for the right choice, as long as there are no tall buildings along the road to high ground. Always have to worry about one of them collapsing on you.

We take a lot for granted in life and if you stop and think, I bet none of us ever think about escape routes while going about our daily routines.

Glad all is well and a safe and Merry Christmas to you and your family.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

As I said to you on the phone, I am just glad all is ok for you and the family. You guys were the first people I thought of when I heard of the quakes...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

We had a 5.8 in Virginia in August! It took me a little while to realize what was going on as I had not been through one since childhood. It is a very strange feeling. Fortunately we didn't have the Tsunami risk! Glad all is well.

We all have ditch bags on the boats. I think you are right that we ought to have them for on land as well!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

What I learned in the east coast earthquake in August, we all evacuated the building, went down the stairs and outside. We were told by the fire Marshall that the safer bet was to shelter in place, either under a table or doorway.

Was also told the most dangerous place to be is just outside a building where you are in danger of falling objects. So evacuating during not after is a bad idea.

Not sure what the protocol is for tsunami areas, of course someone in major earthquake areas can give better info.

Scary stuff, glad all are ok.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Glad to hear you made it out safely and you should be a proud papa for the family obviously listening to all that boating safety instruction over the years.

I'm pretty sure the 14 year old gets a pass on any potentially punishable offenses down the road based on her performance you noted. However, I sincerely doubt that she will ever give you trouble if that is how she performs under stress!
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Hueso, Glasd to hear all is well for you and your family...Its amazing that our kids actually listen to what we have to say...In tough times it seems to shine through...guess they hear us after all...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?