Transporting b28

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ted_R

Transporting b28

Post by Ted_R »

Well the 28 is sold but not gone. Replaced fuel tank with 220 gal alum unit, valve jobs on both engines, and tons of other work done for the new owner. Now it needs to be transported to its new home ( about 150 mi away) and I'm wondering if it's possible/feasible to load it on a trailer at a boat ramp ? Anyone ever done it ? I'm afraid of the props hitting the ramp, but I don't have much boat trailering experience.
Any help/suggestions appreciated.
Ted
""Procrastinate now!"
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Might be safer/wiser to have it lifted and placed on your trailer.
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

I've pulled both my B28 and B31 using a ramp many times with no issues.

Well no prop or clearance issues anyway.

My trailer winch stripped and came around and broke my wrist last summer... but that was my own fault for the way I had it rigged.

I guess it would also matter how high the bunks are. Mine are 10" tall but I couldn't say what the ground clearance was off the top of my head.

Ray
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

From my experience, it is very doable but of course it all depends on the trailer and how it conforms to the hull. I would not try to drive that distance without the trailer conforming to the hull or your asking for stress points with all that jarring on the road. What trailer are you using? A few measurements from bunk to ground would tell you your prop clearance as well at the ramp Angle.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Let me add, the further back your props are past the rear axle,the more chance they will tag the ramp. Closer to rear axle, less articulating the rear of boat will do as you transfer from floating angle of boat to ramp angle. This measurement is an important one before you proceed. Of course always have a spotter looking in this area as you SLOWLY pull boat out.
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

I have no problem launching or retrieving either my 28 or 26... at least, not as far as prop clearance is concerned. The problem comes from when there is a cross current... since the rig is so wide (and I don't want to attract attention), I don't have those little guide-on bars. So I sometimes have it lifted anyway...

Cheers!

John
Ted_R

Post by Ted_R »

Thanks for the timely replies guys.
Walt: haul out was the plan, but the yards here don't work on weekends, may still go that route.
Everyone else: all usefull info, and I feel better knowing it is feasible.
the question now is: specs of tow rig ! All up weight is probably 15-18k #,
my f250 diesel is rated @ 10k towing cap. The buyer said he had a rig available but hasn't told me what it is. And I won't mention the oversize load permit :shock:
""Procrastinate now!"
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

My F350 diesel dually is rated at 15k weight distributing, 22.5k gooseneck. My 28 on the aluminum trailer is 16k about, give or take how much fuel and equipment is on board. I have towed it from coast to coast with no problems... biggest thing is a quality weight distributing hitch (mine is rated at 17.5K), and big disc brakes on two of the three axles with a good brake controller.

Good luck!

John
Diego

Post by Diego »

My boat lives in a hangar next to the water, so she is put in by ramp every time we go out. No problems, we use a tractor though. I sometimes get a little close with the props, buts that because of the poor condition of the road and pavement. Other than than no problems at all.

DP
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"