Cummins 330's

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Cummins 330's

Post by Kevin »

I know they are great motors. My friend is now looking at a 30 Pursuit with 6BTA5.9B330's since the last boat with CATS did not work out. The motors are 2002. The survey says 315 for horsepower. He has the serial numbers. Can you get service history from Cummins with the serial numbers? He can't buy a Bertram, bank will not give him loan for anything older than 1998!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If there IS a history with Cummins servicing or parts, your engine serial numbers should get them.
If the "older" than 1998 has a recent survey, you should be able to get a loan for it. You'll need a recent survey in order to get insurance if you buy it anyway.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Kevin...

I have been told that the Cummins 6B 315 HP and 330 HP engines are the same.. the lower HP is measured at the transmission output and the 330 HP is measured at the flywheel.. the change in where measured was supposedly made by Cummins because Yanmar had a 330 HP engine come on the market and Cummins wanted to show the same HP as Yanmar.

With the serial numbers you should be able to have a Cummins dealer check with Cummins to get a warrantee history, but after that the records will probably be incomplete, since they depend on if the boat owner informed Cummins of any after warrantee work done.

I asked Tony Athens at boatdiesel.com to check Cummins database about my engines and he was able to give me the warrantee history.. also if you can get the CPL numbers (I believe this means Corporate Parts List or Components Parts List) Tony, or any other Cummins dealer, can tell you what components are installed on your specific engines.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

IRGuy wrote:Kevin...

I have been told that the Cummins 6B 315 HP and 330 HP engines are the same.. the lower HP is measured at the transmission output and the 330 HP is measured at the flywheel.. the change in where measured was supposedly made by Cummins because Yanmar had a 330 HP engine come on the market and Cummins wanted to show the same HP as Yanmar.

330 is the Metric rating which works out to 315 hp

All the manufacturers are now calling them by the metric rating.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

kevin remember all the pm`s we sent back and forth? 315 HP AT 40 c (104 degrees f) but will go 330hp at 25c (77 degrees f) remenber the raccors and all fuel lines in the hole what if we feed the baby with constant 60 degree f clean fuel----------hmm!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Damn,

Now I need fuel temperature gauges.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

not you jp you have a raw water fuel cooler to keep that temperature down to a acceptable level.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well Cummins was very helpful when my friend called them. No warranty claims. Just a starter and a sensor of some sort over the years.

There were a whole bunch of stipulations to the loan amount and the year of the boat. His wife is in the business so I just take his word for it.

The boat he is going to have surveyed is a 2002 Pursuit 3000 Offshore. Saw some photos. Looks nice and I have read good things about them.

One thing I noticed is Pursuit way under estimates the weight of their 30 foot boats. There is no way that boat is 11500 dry. It has a 12 foot beam!
Face

Post by Face »

The one Pursuit I've been on "feels" heavy. Curious what the true weight is.
B.W. Outrage 18
Restoring B28 w/ Cummins 4BT 150's
RussP

Post by RussP »

Kevin,
The way the Pursuit is laid out the port engine water pump impeller is a real bear to change and lesser mechanics will not go through the hassle to replace it. Last one I did I had to remove to left front motor mount to get it done. Make sure he buys good quality impellers and replace them before he starts clocking hours. This engine room was not designed to be serviced check out where the couplings and seals are. What were they thinking?

Pretty much every day I remind myself why I own a 31.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Russ wrote:This engine room was not designed to be serviced check out where the couplings and seals are.
One of my mechanic friends describes situations like this....he says "I can see it and I can touch it....just not at the same time"

hb
hb
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Russ...

The location of the Cummins raw water pumps on the 6B engines is, as Tony Athens of the Boatdiesel forum says, a good example of "couch engineering".

I keep several blocks of wood and a small hydraulic jack on board so I can remove the port forward support arm to change a water pump on my 6Bs. I weigh about 170# and I can get between the hull and engines with just barely enough room to work on my B33FBC.

Athens also has replacement impellors and replacement complete raw water pumps for sale, which he claims are much better than the standard Sherwood impellors and pumps.

Dan...

Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for all the tips. An offer has been made on the boat. We will see how it goes. It is actually exciting when a buddy is buying a boat. Especially since he was a CC outboard guy for quite a while. I just may have converted him!