Ridding of the old stuff for new

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

Ridding of the old stuff for new

Post by Rocky »

So, I feel I will never put this running gear back into my bertram, whatever I do with her. I have in my outbuilding both early 90's serial confirmed 454s but raw water cooled, and the matching 72c trannies. In the vast array of knowledge here, what would you guys think I should do with these four pieces of machinery? The trannies shifted just fine, no noises other than normal 72C noises. The engines both ran, no lower end noise or upper.
What do you think, a marine yard, craigslist, not worth diddly squat, worth something to someone? I figured it's worth a try to get something to go into the "engines/trans fund" for refit. Thanks for any inputs on this guys.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Dude, think of the tractor pulling contests you could rock if you built the machine to end all machines! 2 454's!!!! Wahooooo!!!! :)

Seriously, craigslist, or possibly the back pages of soundings.

But more to the point, ebay. As is Where is, buyer pays shipping. 10 days and you know!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Rocky,

I sold my Chrysler 318's and vevlet drives to a local old school boat motor guy. The engines needed valve train work. They were bending puhrods. He had already gone through the transmissions the year before. They did not need much and he can rebuild a velvet drive in short order. He gave me 2K and we were both happy. You just need the right buyer.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Dug now why didn't I think of that! I was thinking of starting them both IN the outbuilding open exhaust with a video and a decibel meter just for fun! So many possibilities... I'll go for the cash to put in the pot, sounds like the grown up thing to do, I guess damn it! Thanks Kevin too, I will definitely look into my local marine shop as well as e-bay, thanks guys. There's got to be a "demand" for this "supply" somewhere.
Carl

Post by Carl »

The trannies should be good for a core charge at your local marine tranny rebuilding house...think I was told about $300 each.

Raw water cooled motors...gotta be a sucker out there someplace in the land of E-Bay.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocky

Try asking around a couple of Marina's. I got lucky on my repower. I had a former dock mate, who moved to another Marina, happened buy the yard when my engines were coming out. He grabbed one to replace a bad engine he had. The yard he was in took the other because they had a customer who needed an engine and did not want to pay for a new one. I wound up getting about $1,200 in total for both engines.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Carl, I did not have high hopes for the 454s I know I would tell whoever straight up what exactly they're from, the trannies well, maybe more luck with them. Tony thanks too, I will ask around. I have numerous marinas around me in the S.F. bay area I'll inquire about all four.