Corrosion X On Gun

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Corrosion X On Gun

Post by Tony Meola »

Well, I just got invited on a pheasant hunt in two weeks. Believe it or not , I have dragged my shotguns out of their case in about 20 years. So I need to give them a good going over.

Really looking forward to doing this again. I let the boat and chasing fish take me away from it many years ago.

I was wondering how Corrision X works on them. One gun is 20 guage side x side the other is a Beretta autoload. Anyone ever use it on the mechanisms in place of gun oil?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Tony,

I have used CX inside and out on a variety of guns. The only thing to be cautious of is keep it off of the primers and ammo in general. There are several companies that claim xyz product is the superior protectant/lubricant for a gun. None off them can hold a candle to CX.
I tend to be tough on guns.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

It works pretty well, but I prefer the smell of good gun oil.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

CX makes "Corrosion X for Guns" in a 4 oz squeezee bottle that is the red CX in a handy form. I've been using CX on my guns for years and find it far and away the best. Ditto the ammo deal, its so creepy it gets into the ammo and kills the primers and powder....I shot several boxes of old 22 ammo with it and it killed every last round in just a few weeks.

The smell sort of grows on you, in you, all over you....like a good dry martini.....but de gun, she ain't gonna rust no matter what.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

You will be amazed how slick the action is with CX on it. My duck hunting gun has plastic stocks so i just hose it down until it runs out of every nook and cranny. I hate to admit it, but I haven't cleaned it in years. After hunting in the rain or wallowing in a swamp with it I just hose it down good and put it in the corner. Never had any rust on it. If you have wood stocks don't put so much on that it soaks into the stocks.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Where are you going pheasant hunting? I'll be in SD first weekend of November?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i wish i could say i have had the same luck with corrosion x on my model 1100 remington auto with custom hastings sabot barrel. i had to use it two months ago on a shark that was getting the best of us . kill the shark instantly but salt water splash on the gun. i clean it down as soon as i came ashore and put it away .i took it out to change barrels for duck . could not even slightly move the barrel out. the salt water went under the forearm piece and entered the barrel to receiver joint . days and days of soaking in corrosion x cannot move barrel out even a fraction. there is a ring under the barrel that sleeves the cartridge tube so i put solid plastic piece on ring and pounded with hard plastic hammer still nothing . next step i will try hair dryer on barrel joint and receiver. this ain`t good i should have use mossberg pump for offshore.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Everyone thanks. I will go with a light lubrication and cleaning with some red Corrosion x. I have it in both a spray and some in a gallon.
Dug wrote:Where are you going pheasant hunting? I'll be in SD first weekend of November?
Dug

No place fancy. My Nephew booked us into a day outing up here in Hardytown NJ on a private preserve. Stocked birds etc. Since it has been 20 years since I pulled out the old gun or tramped through the fields, I don't think I am ready for a week of hunting yet.

Decided I will probably leave the 12 guage in the case and go with the 20 guage side by side. It is a pound and half lighter than my 12 guage. Both guns are unbelievable. What is really cool is that I purchased both guns back in the mid 70's. Paid about $250 for the 20. I looked up the resale on it, almost dropped my teeth. Selling for anywhere between $1,500 to $1,900. My gun is super clean. In fact at first glance you would think it is new.

I originally bought it because the 12 which is an autoload, with a 28 inch barrel was too a little too long for grouse and woodcock. The 20 has 25 inch barrels. That 12 though will crush clay birds all day without flinching.

That was the best 12 guage I could buy back in 1973 for less than $200. The gun dealer talked me out of the Remington 1100 and claimed thie Beretta was better. I can't complain. Just wish it had 3 inch chamber. It will only hold 23/4 inch shells and if you pull the plug out it will only pick up one extra round. With the plug it holds 3 shots. Never needed more than two on a bird.

Same dealer sold me the 20. Talked me out of a lightly used Browing side by side and sold me a new SKB Ithaca. Again no complaints. Great little gun.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

I know this is going to sound crazy, but try some Coke. Also, do you have chest freezer, try laying it in the freezer. Sometimes the cold with make it contract and break it loose.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony i was thinking heat as you normally would use in a rusted metal on metal situation however i am open to anything now. the model 1100 is the ideal gun for deer hunting in the state of new york because some counties are shot gun only like suffolk county on eastern long island. if you could find a hastings barrel it has williams adjustable gun sights and is rifle for sabot slugs, extremely accurate at 50 to 75 yards blows away smooth bore rifle slug barrel. with 30" barrel chamber for 3"shells does well for geese . i use a browning over and under for bird hunting 20 gauge 3" weights in at 5 @ 1/2 pounds.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Bob - had the same problem with my 1100 years ago before CX...its stuck where the barrel slides into the receiver. Opern the action and shoot CX in that jont and try the coke too, I've heard that will dissolve the salt. Freezing is a good idea too....I'd use heat as a last resort, mabe pour some boiling water in the action first?

UV
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Hey Bob I bet you clean the gun better next time.

When I was a kid I locked up a Model 51 Ithica right at the gas port just because I was in a rush and didn't break the gun down to clean it properly. It never happened again.

Saltwater and firearms don't work well together.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Bob:

Remington 870 Marine -- liberally bathed in CX before every trip -- not fancy, but it gets the job done, cheap and next to no maintenance.

Tom
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mine is a Mossberg 500 parkerized.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

I would go with the chest freezer as option 1 then the coke as option 2 if the freezer doesn't work.Can't beleive it welded that tight in such a short time.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

vicroy you are right on (where the barrel goes into the receiver).one thing i observed when you shoot the cx with thin tube onto that joint rust bleeds out.i have turn barrel down and flooded the the barrel/action then turn barrel down every other day.i will clean up all residue sunday and try the Coke routine . jp i clean the rife when i came home the same day and put it back in the case in a a/c---heated area never expected it could be this bad ,yep learn the hard way and i could care less about the mossburg- someday will get the marine version .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Be careful with the Coke on bluing as the citric acid may remove it. Remember bluing is a controlled form of corrosion.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

great tip rawleigh never knew that.as of today i have not made any headway with corrosion x or crc 6-56 which we use at the mariner on salt water frozen bolts.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Go for the feezer. What have you got to losse. Just don't forget it is in there. I can see the wife's face now as she goes to grab a steak for dinner.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315