TefGel

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

TefGel

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

One of the things I've learned from this sandbox is the variety of potions out there to make things a lot easier. One of them is TefGel, a grease-type compound invented and distributed by one of Capt. Partick's friends in WPB. Its for use on threads to prevent dissimilar metals from interacting with each other and seizing up. For example, a stainless screw into aluminum....put some TefGel (now its called Ultra TefGel) on the screw threads and a few years later take the screw out with just hand pressure.

Hurricane Gustav wiped out all the big trees in our front yard three years ago and we replaced them with very tall Crepe Myrtles that I was worried would blow over in a strong wind. So I guy wired them with steel cable to rebar anchors with a turnbuckle at the rebar. The turnbuckles were aluminum barrels with carbon steel eye bolts. I carefully coated the eye bolt threads with TefGel and yesterday took all 24 guy wires & turnbuckles down as the plants are now established. I was pleasantly surprised that all the turnbuckles unscrewed with just hand pressure, no wrench required. After 3 years outdoors. Amazing stuff. The website:

http://www.tefgel.com/contain.php?param ... itch_infor

Not sure if you can order on line, they used to only take phone orders. The little syringes are super handy and a little of the stuff oges a long way. They also make some bilge pump switches that are supposed to really be good and some alarms that look interesting.

Thought I'd share this for some of the guys that may not have heard of the stuff.

UV
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I use that float switch. Never sticks open or closed.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Marlin

Tef gel

Post by Marlin »

this stuff is in every tool box in Florida, Capt turned me on to it , when attaching a painted/powder coated something to your boat, use it, it creates a sealant and a lubricant that prevents galling between the fastener and the fitting, wish I had heard of it years ago, available in most marinas in the south, a bit pricey but cheaper than the alternatives
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks UV...

I am getting ready to install new stainless rub strip on the original aluminum rub rail base and was going to ask where I could get some TefGel.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Frank,

One source is Wolf Wire Forms in West Palm Beach. Ask for Allan...

IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thank you Captain!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!