B31 flybridge width changed when?and whos class deck kit is

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

B31 flybridge width changed when?and whos class deck kit is

Post by Todd Pearce »

I read somewhere that the flybridge was widened at some stage of production any idea what year? and there seems to be a few deck and hatch suppliers out there but which is best? and which is best value for money
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

My memory is the FB was widened in the late 60s. My 1972 FBC has the "wide" FB, about 6" wider than the earlier ones, but still no rose garden. I have an early GlassTech deck and the hatches were cored with balsa and rotted, but I repaired them with help from Capt. Patrick. I understand now they use a form core. Very stout tho and the core is almost an afterthought. Some of the other guys will chime in on who makes the best deck now.

UV
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Todd,
Uncle Vic is correct they widened the FB in the late 60's, pretty sure it was 1968. I've seen a few boats that came from Long Island NY area that had a customized FB,s that were even wider than the Bertram factory, I can't remember the guy's name that was customizing 31 Bertrams on Long Island, maybe the guy's from up there can chime in with the fellows name. One example of the Long Island conversion was the 31' that was in North Palm Beach called the Palm Beach Lady, owned by Augie Eldebrock.
There has been so much customization do in the last 10 years by a lot of the different fiberglass shops all over the US. The main thing is you've got the best hull for a small boat that Ray Hunt ever designed.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I am not aware of a production change in flybridge width unless it happened in the very early years 61-62----Palm Beach Lady was customized by Jim Ray on Long Island.

I do remember someone in Rhode Island or Mass that customized a boat called Grass Hopper and the bridge could have been widened.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Pete:

I know this isn't the guy you are referring to, but Hunter Scott also did some bigger bridge versions of the B31 - the beautiful Grasshopper in Groton Long Point is a great example.

Tom
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Hunter Scott is who I was referring to.

I think Cabrerra may offer a larger bridge as well.