Battery charger of choice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Eddy G

Battery charger of choice

Post by Eddy G »

My old original to the boat Raritan charger/converter finally crapped out. I see that it is no longer made. I remember a thread a while back about chargers. What brands do you guys like. I need a two bank 20 or 30 amp charger. Thanks,

Eddy G.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Eddy - whichever one you get make sure its compatible with the new AGM sealed batteries like the Odyessy. I plan to change my back-breaking 8-Ds out to the Odyessys when the 8-Ds crap out & not sure if I'll have to change the charger.

Y'all come by the camp & go for a sail with us. Dress appropriately, please.

UV
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Thanks, Vic. From what I have read, most of the new chargers can be set for all of the major types of batteries including the AGM's. Just not sure what is a good brand. I see Guest and Promariner are popular names. I figured the guys here have the skinny on what is best.

I sailed catamarans for many years before I realized the iron lung was much easier. Of course, my drinkin' has increased since I don't need both hands anymore to pull on the sheets, tack or jibe.

Eddy G.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

http://www.completebatterysource.com/ge ... arger.html

This is the one that I have. Each bank is independent and you can mix and match battery types. LED indicate what each bank is doing. I think it is the cats meow. The gen 3 is a three bank but they make 1 thru 6 bank I think.

I have had a couple of pro mariners but I like the Noco Genius better.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

After doing a little research I went with the 40A Xantrex TruCharge... No matter what the reviews say theres ALWAYS going to be people sharing their positive and negatives...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have the Xantrex/TruCharge and am very pleased with it. I would suggest however that you mount it under the dinette where it is visible and DRY. I sent my first one back after only a few months because of signs of rust and corrosion when it was mounted in the engine area.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Oh yea, def need to have it in the cabin.. Mine is mounted on a piece of coosa mounted to the rails for the drawer under the forward dinette seat with nice short run to the breakers...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Marlin

Battery charger

Post by Marlin »

the batteries u select will require a charging profile that is compatible with the batteries to keep the warranty in effect, I know this the hard way, I was a big Oddessy fan until they denied my warranty claim, this has
Happened on 3 different boats, almost like dealing with the govt , don't know the answer
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Now THAT'S an interesting piece of information I'll bet you'll never be told at time of purchase. Thanks Marlin
coolair

Post by coolair »

I bought Xantrex/TruCharge I installed it and it never worked.
After have a local authorized xantrex tech pull it open and change the blown fuse, it blew again. Xantrex refused to warranty it because it had been open and worked on though buy one of their authorized people and the cause of the problem was the powe rfrom my dock.
There solution was to sell me a knew at a disscount, which was at a price high than i paid for the original. So you know what I think of them.
Went with the professional mariner 40
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I had a TruCharge. It rusted and failed in a month.

Have had a WATERPROOF Guest charger since then. No problems.

Did I mention that it's WATERPROOF?

Some people claim that the B31 is a wet boat. While there are others who disagree, I suggest that you find something that is WATERPROOF.

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

My experience with Xantrex has been completely opposite from Coolair's and Mike's.

About 18 months ago I bought one of their 3 bank 40A Tru Charge chargers and one of their remote panels. The charger worked fine but the lights on the remote panel were set so far back from the face that you couldn't read them unless you were looking directly straight at them. I called them and spoke with an application engineer who got a remote panel fired up while I was on the phone with him. He agreed the lights were useless and informed me that they were in the process of redesigning the Tru Charge and would incorporate changes to the panel lights in the new model. They told me I could use the charger until they came out in about a year with the new charger and panel, then I could return both and they would replace them with new products. After about 8 months I called them and reminded them of their promise.. they had just released the new designs and gave me a return material authorization number and I returned the products. About 10 days later I received a new charger and remote panel at no charge.

I have a B33 FBC and the charger is located between the engines, where it is dry. The remote panel is located in the cabin. Both work great, and as you can imagine I am happy with their products and them as a company. If you are going to buy one of their chargers I would strongly recommend buying the remote panel.. it allows you to control the charger operations and monitor the charge state of up to 3 battery banks, and has settings for all the common battery types.

Uncle Vic...

I did a writeup a couple of years ago about my completely replacing my batteries and the main 12 volt panel in the engine room.. you can use your existing 8D boxes and install 3 standard size AGM batteries in each of them, while you only need two to replace a single lead acid 8D.. this means you can have 3 banks in the space where you originally had 2 8Ds.

BTW I went with the Optima spiral wound AGM batteries.

If anyone wants a copy of my writeup drop me an email and I will be happy to send you one.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have used the Xantrex Trucharge 40 for @ 7 years now with the same Exide Orbital spiral AGM batteries. they are now reaching the end of their life, but I have no complaints. Boat stays in a boathouse year round and the charger is mounted high up in the port engine compartment.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Thanks for all of your input. I decided on the Promariner Protech 1230 i Plus. It was between it and the Xantrex. I found a download for the install and operator's manual for the Protech 1230 and it had the same hardwire connections and locations as the one coming out so I went for it. Many thanks again for the responses.

Eddy G.
Capt Rex
Location: Vessel: Stock Island, Fl; Me: Malibu, CA when not on board

'12 charger recommendation and auto pilot note

Post by Capt Rex »

Just installed a new auto pilot on my 28... have the original Raritan unit which still works great but figured I should be prepared for it to die. Asked the installer and he recommended either a Charles or Newmar charger as the best option currently on the market. Still haven't figured out why they call the Raritan a converter when it deals with charging both banks as well. Love the new auto pilot... with single helm on bridge, can at least steer using the auto pilot remote from the cabin or bow- very handy when single handing. Note the 28 steering system is an off center design, had install an optional part in the hydrolic line to stop a vibration. Of course Garmin tech knew all about it but no one else did...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Before discarding your old charger because you are changing battery types pull it loose from it's mounting and check the back for a switch for battery type. That's where mine is. When researching and designing a totally new electrical system I ended with a 30 amp Charles. It covers and manages separately and together my two engine batteries and one house, all Odysseys. Keeping all properly charged and happy. Love those batteries too. No fumes, sealed, light in weight compared to the old lead-acid 8-D's.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

They called it a convertor because it takes 120vac and turns it into dc regulated voltage.

Once in a while I ran into a bad transformer in those units but mostly it was the regulator board. They may not carry replacement boards now but anyone with any electronic repair can fix em it's a simple design. And if it has a slide Tap resistor for adjusting the cut in/out voltage, you can replace them with a simple screw driver adjusted pot and a couple of othr parts from Rafio Shack.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Thanks for this post Eddy. I was going to ask the same things. My 'statpower"..now Xtranx tru charge quit. I have it apart now, and may try to repair it. I was surprised at no conformal coat on the PC board....I figured for a marine app this would be a given.

Looked at the "master volt" power charger. Seems like a good unit. Any body have any feedback pro or con on this brand. Not sure I have any room inside, so next one will go back in the engine room where the first one was.

Will check out the guest...but I have had bad luck with their products.

Thanks all for the valuble inputs.
Giff
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Just installed a 2500 freedon "Heart " inverter charger.. Im on a mooring with a solar panel most o the time.. but this seems to work great on occasion..l my 8ds are 6 or so years old..
W
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

I went with the Promariner 3 bank 30 amp charger. It had the same terminal layout as the old one did so it made for an easy install. Works great, but time will tell.
Eddy G.