blacked redfish?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

blacked redfish?

Post by JohnCranston »

I've got the skillet, blackening powder and butter, question is, what next? You guys fixed me up with the seared tuna, can you help me out here? I'm trying to broaden my horizons without setting myself on fire.
Many thanks.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Heat the skillet to about 600 degrees (your laser heat gun will help here), butter up the fish filets, sprinkle the blackening powder on, then slap it in the skillet for about 90 seconds per side. Keep a big pot lid handy to cover the skillet and put out the fire before it catches the ceiling.

A much better way to do redfish is "on the half shell"....filet and leave the skin & scales on, make a sauce of lemon, butter, & garlic and place the filets scales down on a hot grill and baste wiht the sauce. Cook until the fish is flaky.

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The key is leaving the scales on. I do it with Striped Bass, Bluefish, Porgies etc. Put the grille lid down so the heat circulates rather than just go up...especially on thick fish pieces.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks, UV and Walter,
I mis-spelled blackened, sorry. We do the fish quite a bit on the half shell, and were wanting to try something different. Thanks for the advice.
I just need a good recipe for kingfish and I'll have all bases covered.

Thanks again,'
John.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Good recipe' for kingfish? Hmmmm, meow, meow.....'bout the only thing its good for......but you Texans like chicken fried butter with ketchup.

yo Fren'

UV
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

walter you caught me by surprise with that comment (keep scales on) 65 years i never was aware of that as a matter of fact i always insist my son remove the skin while he fillets the fish like fluke,stripe bass , sea bass,porky. you leave it on while cooking then peel it off before serving i assume.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Bob- I only leave the skin/scales on if I am going to do the fish on the grille. The fish doesn't stick then and you can easily move and lift a whole fillet off the grille with a spatula. If I do a big fillet, I score the flesh at portion sized pieces almost down to the skin and put a wedge of lemon and onion into each cut. Big fillets need 2 spatulas or a real long one, to lift the fillet on to a serving dish. At this stage, the skin is so charred, a simple cut with the spatula edge separates the portions. I usually serve each portion with the lemon wedge and half onion ring I had previously inserted. The cooked flesh just comes off the charred skin on your plate as you eat with a fork. The charred skin sometimes adds a bit of flavor that enhances the dish.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

normally the bride puts all her herbs and olive oil on the filets and then wraps in tin foil which i place on 400 degree BBQ for 5 minutes or so per side . should i cook with scales on in light of the fact i use tin foil never directly on grill ???
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

UV,
When my neighbors bug me for fish, I give them kingfish...they never ask for fish again. I've heard that some Jamaican jerk kingfish recipes are good, but, that's all that I know.
Thanks.
John.
In Memory Walter K

Bob-For the way you do them (very good), take the skin off. No need to worry about anything sticking to the grill.
Carl

Post by Carl »

For blackened fish I only use a Heavy Cast Iron Pan...really makes a difference as it holds alot of heat. I avoid covering to keep from steaming..I like my Blackened Crust...well for a lack of better terms "Crusty"

Also a real good exhaust fan is a must...or you have to do what I do...cook Blackened Fish and Steaks on the BBQ side burner.

I haven't tried buttering up the fish before hitting with my Blackening mix...usually I just Dry Fish and liberally rub seasoning into the meat/fish.

Small dab of butter in the pan and put meat/fish directly over and give up to a minute depending on cut, flip to a hot portion and give another bit of time till you ave a nice crust then onto the plate...with pan off heat add a nice glob of butter to pan, scrapping any of the spiced fond into a sauce and drizzle around plate.

Spice mix...haven't found one on the market yet that is not too salty...I usually toss my own together... equal-ish parts of all the spices you like. For me, its Fresh Black Pepper, Garlic & Onion Powder, Hot Paprika, Cayenne, Oregano and Basil plus a portion of Kosher Salt.
Last edited by Carl on Sep 12th, '11, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

John:

With enough RedStripe and Mount Gay, anything with Jerk Spice will taste good, including the shoes I have on! Kingfish, geez, do you have a Menhaden Civiche recipe too?

Tom
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Tom,
Menhaden civiche...now that sounds tasty! Chum anyone?
In Memory Walter K

Remember Cappy's Chumslick Martini's?