Wahoo in da' Hueso

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hueso

Wahoo in da' Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Caught this "Peto" (wahoo) last Sunday at about 15 miles from the North Shore of the island......almost cut the leader with its sharp teeth......was out looking for dorados and did not have any wire.....

In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hueso - good eating size. We call those "snake" wahoo here in Louisiana.

Here is a recipe' for you: cut the filets up in little round steaks about an inch thrick. Rub them down with a little sea salt, some red pepper, some crushed garlic, then dust them with flour. Take a big iron skillet and melt a half stick of butter, put in about an equal amount of olive oil, some chopped green onions and some fresh chopped garlic. Saute' down the onions and garlic, then put in the juice of an good big lemon, then about a half cup of dry white wine. Let all this saute' down until it gets pretty thick, then add some more wine and reduce it again. About half way thru the second reduction, put the wahoo filets in and saute' them about 3 minutes on each side, then serve over either rice or toast points. The saute juice is worthy of some good french bread to sop up.......le bon ton roule'......

UV
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Did something alike......next time be sure I'll be doing it like that............thanks for the recipe.........hope to catch some dorados next weekend
Hal

Post by Hal »

UV, the holidays must have been good to you - you're in such a charitable mood sharing recipes and stuff. 'cause round here they call those weehoos, but we cook them the same way!

That is surely the best eating fish that swims. Happy Holidays.
In Memory of Vicroy

Now the UV dorado recipe' is just a little different, since the filets are a little thinner, in fact, the thinner the better. Use a lot less saute' in the skillet, just short of a dry skillet. Rub the fillets with the same stuff, dust with flour, heat the skillet to just under smoking the saute', then flop the dorado fillets in, ONE, repeat, ONE minute a side, then serve. Sort of a bob-tailed coonass blackened fish but better.

UV
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Some controversy stewing up......dorado v. wahoo....which is best.............I favor Dorado
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, that's a toss up to me since they are different kinds of fish. Dorado will turn a golden color and stay firm in a smoker. But whaoo will sort of shrink up and melt if you smoke it. For grilling, my view is there is no better fish in the ocean (well, maybe a pompano) than wahoo, particulary the little ones. On the other hand, a small dorado fillet flash cooked in a little saute is hard to beat.

But if you really want to eat some fine fish, try tilefish. They live in about 1000+ feet of water (bottom fish, lotta winding) in the warm oceans. We have caught some off Port Eads by accident. One of the national seafood chain restaurants, the Bonefish Grill, most always has tilefish. There is a Bonefish around the corner from our house, and me & the Bride go there at least once a week. Top notch place, and just a little while ago we split a tilefish and it was perfect. Like lobster meat, but flaky.

Eating seafood is what makes old people young.....

UV
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Yes sir...............hope to fish until 95 years old...never tried a tilefish but it sounds interesting....do you have a pic of a tile fish?
In Memory of Vicroy

Hueso - no, don't have a pix handy, but they look like a long skinny dorado with big eyes.

Watching the Monday nite football in the snow in Seattle. Seldom snows in downtown Seattle, but reminds me of the time I was doing a case for Uncle out there and got snowed in, took me 3 hours to get to the airport from downtown, then the airport was shut down. Hung out in the Delta Crown Room for a day & a half, at least free whisky, soft chairs and munchies. The good old days of 200,000 miles and 35 weeks a year on the road making a meager living.........I now have a fleet of young lawyers that still think its fun doing it, and I direct traffic from home.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

UV....well you opend this door so i'm gonna barge through.......does monday night football suck or what.......my friend peter had to be restrained from throwing something at the screen as they went into the sixth minute of emmet smith on "dancing with the stars"...while the game went on off screen in the background....anyone out there real interested in......jay Z just total pandering to folks who arent watching anyway.......grrrr
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

UV....I still go around.......but my island is just 100 x 35.........after seven years in practice is still kind of fun.....at least it pays the bills...............just trying to get there and direct traffic......at least from the office.........