Crabs "A" Jubileen

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. DQ

Crabs "A" Jubileen

Post by Capt. DQ »

The Crabs are a Jubileen down here on the coast, this past weekend with the family prove to be very fruitful for crabs. Now a R/C & Fried Crab Claws & Crab Cakes. Now thats some find Southern Cooking there now.

[img][img]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r210 ... 9708_n.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r210 ... G_0845.jpg[/img][/img]

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Fried crab claws? Do you just drop them in hot oil or do you cat them to add flavor?

Another thing that is really good with a 6 pack of beer is baked crabs. We clean our crabs while they are still alive. Take the bodies, driblle some oilive oil on them, hot pepper, oregano, bread crumbs, oh almost forgot lots of garlic. Bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes or so at 350.

Great with Beer.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Tony,

We pretty well clean them while their alive also. We first, break the claws off an put them on ice. Large pot, bring water to a rolling boil, insert claws for about 2 mins, remove, and cool down and then refrigirate over night.

Next day, remove claws from frig and crack with butt of butter knife or use a cracker, then remove meat from claw, vacuum pack & freeze. Then You can either, saute with garlic & butter in a pan or deep fry. The Southerner that I am, deep fried with cocktail sauce.

Second, We pop the shell, rinse & clean guts from shell. Keep legs on and take a pair of pliers after cleaning, break about a 1/2" off the front lower part of shell, then break in half.

Then we use a device, we roll mash the meat from the shell with very little shell getting the meat. Vacuum pack & freeze for Gumbo or crab cakes or Salads or lump crab meat for steaks or whatever you want to do. A little work but damn fine eating for when ever.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
jrhaszard

Crab Claw Removal

Post by jrhaszard »

You don't have to tear the claws off of a blue crab.Using waterman's gloves,hold the crab by the claws and apply slight pressure backwards against the "elbows".The crab will release the claws himself and drop off without tearing the backfin meat out.If he drops back into the water he will grow new claws.It helps to let him grab his own claws with each other while you perform this procedure.Try it.I too clean the crabs alive before cooking them.
BERG1847M80F
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

We don't boil ours. We break the claws off, (except my cousin who does this with the claws intact) then we peel back the shell and clean them. From this point you can go ahead and freeze the bodies and claws whole if you want or you can cook them what ever way you feel.

ONe of the favorites around our house, make up a pot of tomato sauce, the last half hour of so put in the bodies and claws. Use the sauce on Pasta and have at the bodies and claws. Messy but damn good.

If i was going to make crab cakes then I would probalbly boil or steam them. Need quite a few to get enough meat for crab cakes.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

D.Q.,
Then we use a device, we roll mash the meat from the shell with very little shell getting the meat.
Can you give us a lesson?
Aslo, anybody got a crab cake recipe (that's 'receipt' in the South) without a lot of bread/crackers/filler?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

My favorite.

In a very large stock pot. Melt butter, add white wine, garlic and herbs (basil, parsley etc). cover two or three inches in the bottom of the pot. Lower heat and steam already cleaned crabs. Time depends on the amount of crabs 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Serve over pasta with a roll of paper towels on the side.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mikey: A little egg white as binder and your favorite seasoning!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Here is the device we use and it works great.

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/article83650.htm

Mickey, you don't have to use a bunch of bread crumbs or crackers for a good crab cake. You should like the recipe above on the link which shows you how we clean. Just keep scrolling down and you'll see.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That looks like a cool tool. May have to get me one of those.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315