Check out this Fishermen

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. DQ

Check out this Fishermen

Post by Capt. DQ »

This guy is badass, click to view the full video.

http://www.arkive.org/osprey/pandion-ha ... eo-00.html
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

dq
when i have trouble finding the bunker, i always look for the osprays, interesting never new they could pick a fish off the bottom, amazing birds, that we almost lost to ddt years ago.
1968 hull # 316 - 757
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

We have Osprey nests on poles out our way and I have seen them pick up Bluefish of 3 Mile Harbor and carry them to their nests. As I understand it, their diet is 100% fish.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Charlie,

There are a couple that hang out around my house on the bayou. There is one of them that is about the size of the one shown in this video. Just an awesome wing span of about 4 ft. They are suppose to be very territorial too.

I have never seen one go after a flounder like that before either, awesome bird though.
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Pretty slick....I especially like where it shakes the water off itself while climbing out with the flounder - which I guess Doug, to you & me is a flounder, but is probably a halibut since they got them tall hilly mountain-looking thingys around the lake.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Roger that UV on the flounder, as I usually forget to call them Halibut for the different region, Never mind us Southerner's.

We just call em' as we see em'. hahaha! I'm right with you on that same part as he is shaking himself off. Pretty cool shot on the video as I have never seen that before.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

on a good day i can spot at least 6 osprays working the beach, they have made a great come back
1968 hull # 316 - 757
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Likewise the bald eagles have made a comeback here in Coonassland. We have several around the camp that seem to target big mullet - they also just eat fish.

Speaking of birds, one of our camp nieghbors who lives there full time has a pet Great White Egret named Henry who hangs around all the time.....the neighbor semi-commercial fishes and catches a lot of shad with a cast net to bait his catfish lines. He always saves a bucket or two for Henry, who will eat damn near a 5 gallon bucket at one sitting. Henry is territorial as hell and runs all the other egrets and blue herons out of our area.

And we have a mockingbird momma who raises little ones in a cypress tree in your camp yard who has a constant war with a squirrel and pecks the crap outta his butt every morning, runs him right along the porch railing in front of me & the Bride while we are having our morning coffee....I wish I could capture the look on the squirrel's face as he scrambles along the railing with the big ole mockingbird right on his ass.....priceless.

UV, the easily entertained....
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sitting at my desk the other morning talking to a client I saw an osprey dive right in front of me and pick up a nice sized striper. Just as I was about to comment on it a bald eagle dived from above my house at the osprey, the osprey saw the eagle at the last moment, dropped the fish and the eagle swooped in and snagged it in mid air and was off with it.
My astonished comment was unprintable, glad I wasn't talking to the preacher.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Sometimes the Osprey fish in the creek right next to our property. They sit on a nest my friend put up in the marsh about 8 years ago. This year a couple of Bald Eagles took over the nest during the winter.

Who would have thought that when spring came the Osprey would chase the Bald Eagles off. My friend watched the ariel battle. He said it was pretty cool.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315