Buying engine input wanted

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

conchy joe

Buying engine input wanted

Post by conchy joe »

I have been looking for some diesel motors and transmissions to rebuild. Of course I am broke, but that probably never stops most of us.

I have a 28' FBC with 351's and think that I have a donor boat lined up. I've found an old 28 Uniflite in NC thats looks like hell, the interior is water damaged from rain and generally not being taken care of. The boat has not been run in three years and is sitting in someones backyard because one of the three aluminum tanks crapped out.

I am planning a trip to see the boat.

The boat has 1989 155HP 4BT's with either ZF 220A or 225 trannies.

The motors have not been run in three years.

I know some will disagree on the 4BT's, but do anyone have experience in what a reasonable price would be to pay for two complete motors and trannies?

Please I don't want to know personal opinions on what they would be worth to you, but what is a typical market price for a either a complete motor as a core or as a running take off.

If I can get the boat for the right price, I'll use whatever is salvagable and scrap the rest.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Joe-4BT's had a problem with injecter tips falling into the cylinders. Cummins acknowledged it was a flaw and provided updated injecters and made good on the damaged cylinders to those who had it happen. Make sure that what you are looking at have had that updating.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Theres a big difference between running and non running engines in terms of cost.

Running, decent shape and condition with a history and less than 1500 hours should be about 8 to 10k for the pair with gears.

Not running, not froze up and not a rust bucket about 1500 to 2k each. At very least they could be parted out.

Froze up, leave em there.

Look at the white paint, any dark discolorazion around head or head itself indicates overheat. Leave em there.
Marlin

Engines

Post by Marlin »

Call Doc at Florida Marine Teck in Riveria Beach, probably the best diesel guy in the south east, tell him your story and that u and I have the same passion, he wont screw u, he is highly recommended by cummins, Capt pat knows him as well