31 BERTRAM FIRE

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

31 BERTRAM FIRE

Post by Craig Mac »

On sportfisherman.com there is a thread of 31 in stone harbor new jersey that had a fire this weekend--boat was saved---anybody know the full story?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

From The Hull Truth:

We had a nasty storm pass through last nite in S. Jersey. When a severe storm is predicted We "Man" the firehouse and wait. Sure enough, right at the peak We get a call for a boat fire behind a house on 96th st. Upon arrival We find a 31 Bert (newly renovated) with heavy smoke showing from the stbd side and engine box. The cabin was fully charged with heavy black smoke as well. Our first due truck with compressed air foam was on scene in minutes as was Our FireBoat Marine 13-2. I was summoned from the boat to the dock to try and locate a way to shut off the RUNNING stbd motor. I scrambled up to the helm and found the engine switches OFF and NO emergency fuel shut-offs on the bridge. Plan B...scurry down and locat the batteries between the now fully engulfed stbd engine box. The battery cables were cut , the engine stopped but water was pouring from every raw water hose on the motor. Uh-oh...no power for the pumps! She was leaking and in danger of sinking. The fire was put out with class A foam and We did the best We could to stop the leaks including shutting th seacocks. It was in My opinion a very close call. The boat was very close to flash-over and was very close to homes, docks and several other boats. SHFD trains for boat fires and marine emergencies and it showed last nite. The picture of Marine 13-2 is from a water rescue drill but You can see We have rigged Her right. She can pump 750GPM over 100 yds. and has all the best electronics and rescue tools. You can see what She looked like when I first saw Her in Pittsburgh Pa. She was FREE from the Army Corps of Engineers and was fresh water used with a brand new zero hr. motor. We did the rest! Love Our Govt.! FREE!!!!I think "Sonny Boy" will be back fishin but I hope with emerg. fuel shut-offs near the helm next time. A few very scary moments for Me.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Sounds as if the local responders did a good job!

But I have a question...

Is having fuel shutoff capabilities on the bridge a normal practice?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Not on gas motors. The post doesn't say what the fuel type was. Would cutting the battery power shut down a diesel?? Maybe on the newer ones. Bruce, what do you think??
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Sounds like a lightning strike or water shorted the starter circuit since the engine was running. Could be the batt cables overheated with the engine running and starter still engaged could have been the fire cause.

My sister was to fly back from Atlantic city that night and the flight got cancel the weather was so bad.

The fire resue guy could have been looking for Detroit blower shut down cables as fuel shut offs on the bridge is unheard of on pleasure.

My guess is they train more on commercial vessels and expect the same systems.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I read that it was a new installation of Yanmars
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Talk about bad luck! Ugh!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Since cutting the cables would kill the fuel solenoid on the engine, that would shut them down.

I'd be curious if it was a rain short or lightning strike that caused the engine to start.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Boat identification per sportfisherman.com thread---

seafoam colored 31 - south of the 96th street bridge ---Jimmy G's old rig.