Valvtect Marine Fuel

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Valvtect Marine Fuel

Post by PeterPalmieri »

What do you know about these guys? There is a station in Bay Shore, better known as the Point of Woods Gas dock.

The claim is specially formulated marine fuel, and the guys at the dock say no need for additional additives. Any different then the rest?

http://www.valvtect.com/marineFuelGasoline.asp

"ValvTect Marine Gasoline is "specially formulated" for marine engines and is designed to prevent the problems of ethanol gasoline, such as phase separation, moisture, poor stability and the formation of power-robbing carbon deposits.

ValvTect Marine Gasoline is "specially formulated" for your marine gasoline engine. It requires no additional fuel additives to protect your engine, eliminating any risk of improper additive use and saves time and money.

ValvTect Marine Gasoline protects your marine engine with these additional features and benefits."
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Doody
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have found that at Montauk, since I switched to Valvetech's fuel, I have no soot on my transom any more. Now that's diesel, but I expect there is a greater maintenance of tanks that sell it. My experience.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Mike:

Is that a technical term?

Tom
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Its an additive and I can say like Walter those diesel owner who used the fule with the additive in it saw less or no transom soot and reduced sheen on the water.

But you would get the same results using any good additive like Stanadyne for instance. Not sure if the additional price of the Valvetech fuel is less or more than buying no additive fuel and adding the additive yourself.

It just makes it so you don't have to remember to add it but the caveat is not all marinas who say they use that fuel, actualy use it. I've had several reports of that and the proof was that after filling up, soot and sheen were back.

Now I'm no chemist, but really don't think there is anything really out there than can 100% satisfy the negatives of ethanol gas. You would have to remove the ethanol for that to happen which in turn reduces the octane.
Ethanol is an oxegenator that replaced MTBE.

So the major effects of ethanol are always going to be there whether their additive reduces phase seperation or not.

Best is to use non ethanol fuel and add your own additives for upper cylinder lubrication and cleaning.

Like Mike said..........Doody.

"Now drain and sanitize the pool."