B-28 cabin bulkhead replacement / update

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Taggteam

B-28 cabin bulkhead replacement / update

Post by Taggteam »

I recently took ownership of a 28 flybridge. A previous owner decided to cut out the starboard side aft window, hinge, and trim in teak. I can only assume he did this to use a home air conditioner n the cabin. It was done well, but looks like hell.

I want to replace at least that side of the bulkhead and want to ask those "in the know" what I'll be in for in terms of removal and replacement. I can fabricate a new panel....no real issue there...but would like to know what I'm getting into before I start the removal. It appears to be non structural and simply screwed in place. Am I incorrect in this assumption? Any help would be appreciated....thank you in advance.

taggteam@comcast.net
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Taggteam,

It's not a real big job. I rebuilt both bulkheads in a day. It was a long day and I used 3/4 inch starboard. If I had it to do over again, I would use a good grade of 1/2 inch plywood and once it was cut and sized, I would coat it generously with diluted epoxy so it would penetrate, then I would cover it in formica, using contact cement on the inside and epoxy on the outside. It took another short day to hang the door frame and I had to build a new door as well.

I used birch to build the frame and covered it with 1/4 inch plywood and put formica on as the skin. I epoxied the formica on. I even put in a porthole. It's all good for a good long time.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon