First Trip

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JP Dalik

First Trip

Post by JP Dalik »

There's been some great Thresher fishing lately. We took my son out to catch his first. Snagged 50 baits real quick, made some fresh chum on the boat and ran down the beach looking for some active pods. After 22 minutes of fishing Cort got to put the Shimano Terez/ Saragosa combo to work. Little over an hour later here's the results. 160.3 lbs Needless to say we still have 38 baits. Maybe we'll do it again tonite.

Oh yeah and the boat ran great.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

You'll never get the smile off of Corts face......building memories! ! !

hb
hb
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Come on Dad, SMILE! You know You love it as much as Cort did. BTW the boat looks Damn Good! Now come on down and help do mine hahaha!

DQ
Last edited by Capt. DQ on Jun 20th, '11, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Impressive -- well done!
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Great job Cort...on a spinning rod to boot...tough fish they dont call em bulldogs for nothing...and great eatin too.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I am not familar with the Thresher Sharks at all.....but at first glance I am really surprised at how thick and round their body is just in front of the tail. Takes a lot of muscles to manipulate that massive tail.

Are they very fast swimmers? Are they an aggressive shark?

Don't guess they are here in the Gulf at all......

hb
hb
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harry, yes they are in the Gulf also. I have seen one at South Pass, LA just outside the mouth feeding.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, Threshers use their tails to whip and stun their prey, another nickname whiptail, like flickin a wet towel, not as fast as a mako but plenty of power, that explains the thick base of tail, small mouths used to feed on smaller schooling fish like bunker, like JP said close to shore following the migrating schools, no blue dogs there, very heavy fish too, I saw a 585lbr at the Oaks Bluff Tourney, that was a BIG fish.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?