repower of bertram 25

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

spencer

repower of bertram 25

Post by spencer »

I am posting this because I have tried to become a member on the 25 bertram site however I have been unable to, I must be doing something wrong on the registration process, but thought I would post this and hope some of the forum members would comment

Currently running twin outboards 225 1996 mercury carburated
I am thinking of repowering with twin 175 suzuki four strokes, wondered what you all thought of the power option

The boat has a bracket currently on it and the weight requirments are only rated for a 1000 pounds which the older motors fell into that area, however all newer motors weigh more, which is limiting the power options.
I would prefer to run four strokes, other options are going two stroke, which possibly could run yamaha 200, or optimax,
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Spencer,

Send me an e-mail and I'll forward to Russ. pandc2(at)verizon(dot)net. Sometimes it takes a while...

That boat must fly with twin 225s. Twin 175s would be more than enough and should be just under your weight limit. What type of bracket are you using?

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
spencer

Post by spencer »

Max speed is 37knots
typically do a lot of trolling which is where the fuel economy is not that great
cruising at 4000 runs approx 24knots burn rate 24 gallons per hour

The bracket was made and installed at saltshaker marine by previous owner

The main reason the wife hates the smoke and smell of the old two strokes
also they are getting pretty old , however run pretty well, so end benefits: maybe happy wife, better fuel economy, better reliability.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Have you considered going to a big single engine set up or do you require the redundancy? Capt Bone on the 25 site will no doubt chime in as he is the Outboard Guru and advocate on 25's with outboards if you got him via email, I know he has all sorts of comparitive data and all types of set ups.
spencer

Post by spencer »

Rocket thanks for the head up on Capt Bone, will send him a pm,

If i was starting from scratch, possibly, however the canal i live on is a little shallow and would be concerned of getting stuck with the increase in draw,
The bracket I really like, the lay out is really open which is a nice bonus
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Big (300) single with a jackplate or port-a-bracket is my current plan. I run quite a bit in shallow water. I can't justify the extra expense of twins when the modern outboards are so reliable and powerfull.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Michael

Post by Michael »

Spencer,
I am surprised that your top speed is only 37knots. With 450 ponies back there I would have expected more like 45knots. Were the engines running correctly and propped correctly? Perhaps weight was an issue with those 2 big engines hanging off a bracket?
spencer

Post by spencer »

Michael

one of the motors had the powerhead rebuilt 500 hrs ago, the other is original probably around 2000 hrs, Just had them serviced, the older motor is a little more sluggish than the rebuilt.

I am running 4 bladded props which most likely killed some of the top end speed.

Note that speed of 37 knots was with 3 large individuals 225 a piece and 100 gallons of fuel , boat also has a aluminum tower/hardtop, combination, and bottom paint, and loaded with fishing gear
spencer

Post by spencer »

camb25

I try to go to the Bahamas whenever I can, so the second engine is more for my false sense of comfort, otherwise did think of that option (large single) and a kicker
Michael

Post by Michael »

Spencer,
It is just that it seems there are several B25's out there with half your horsepower doing about the same speed as you. Granted they may be lighter, but do not think that the weight difference would kill off that much speed.
My B25 is powered with a single sterndrive, 320hp, and I an kissing 40knots, granted my boat is light, but it has also been in the water virtually non stop since 1962 and has a bazillion layers of old bottom paint on it.
Guess what I am trying to say is that unless you want 50mph speed, you probably do not need that much power. I know you are not getting that sort of speed now, perhaps due to tired engines or less than optimal setup. Think a single 300 would get you about the same performance as you have now.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Have you considered the new Etecs? Lighter/smoke free/no 4-stroke repair problems/expenses.
spencer

Post by spencer »

Etec, did think of that option, went on the hull truth a few different times, seems to have lot of little issues, which does not mean they are bad, but overall want to eliminate the two stroke option,
captbone

Post by captbone »

Twin 140hp Suzukis are very popular and a great choice. I would not go above twin 175hp as I feel the power is wasted in all but the calmest waters. A single 250hp provides a solid 40mph+ with a heavy load as does twin 150hp's.

Is this your boat?

Here are some good examples