Another Zinc Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Another Zinc Question

Post by Tony Meola »

Ok so what is with these new aluminum zincs. Usually the Marina has only Camp Zincs. So I go in looking for shaft Zincs. Pick up the Zinc and think man this is not right too light. But I look around and nothing else.

So I asked the yard forman, who I have known for years, and he says the new thing. Supposed to work better. He says they do last longer, which prompted me to say, and that is good, lasting longer means not working right.

Anyone have any feedback on them. I find working better is hard to believe.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I think aluminum is cheaper now than zinc. That is what is driving aluminum sacrificials. All I've ever read or been told is that zincs are better, just because they degrade more easily.

No matter what- do not mix and match all must be the same.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I would gather if they were mixed, they would react against each other.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

On the galvanic nobel scale Zinc is better than aluminum.

So If anyone tells you aluminum is better, reply, You Sir are full of crap.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wasn't there a different formulation for brackish water?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Tell 'em you want Beryllium.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Zincs are Zinc period. Okay okay they are alloyed with other things to keep them working as they should....pure zinc would crust up and insulate itself, not enough Zinc and other things get eaten up before the Zinc...but the base is Zinc.

Now...We use Zinc as a Sacraficial Anode...there are other materails that can be used as a Sacrificial Anode for different hull materails and the water the boat is used in. Which hulls use what I do not know...but I machine, buy and sell Anodes for boats pretty often and Zinc is most common by far for our (my) area, then Aluminum, Magnisuim and Pure Iron are all used.

If you want your Zincs to last...Paint'em. Although not a good idea if you want to keep your running gear in good shape. I'm thinking Alum in Salt water for a fiberglass hull is the wrong choice too...
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Mercruiser outdrives have as many as 5 "zincs" in them, very specific to the different units. Nothing is standard and you buy them in kits. This year they are ALL in aluminum and we're being told they're "better"...besides, that's all you can buy any more.
Carl

Post by Carl »

walterk wrote:Mercruiser outdrives have as many as 5 "zincs" in them, very specific to the different units. Nothing is standard and you buy them in kits. This year they are ALL in aluminum and we're being told they're "better"...besides, that's all you can buy any more.

When your sticking a chunk of Aluminum off the back of your boat, then it becomes a horse of a different color.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Just what I want, an aluminum anode on an aluminum outdrive!! Hope the paint is in good shape!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Since the Aluminum anodes say environmentaly friendly, I have feeling zincs will be going the way of the DoDo Bird.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory Walter K

The environmental groups are pushing for it along with lead sinkers.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Wonder if the fact that Zinc cost is rising has anything to do with it...

...nah
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I doubt the cost is that big of a factor for like everything when raw materials rise, the end product just costs more.

While Aluminum and zinc are next to each other on the nobel scale, aluminum to me is not a wise choice as then it would make any aluminum engine parts equal in scale to your galvanic protection.

Most marine engines now a days have aluminum parts.

I started to see the result of aluminum zincs on outdrives before closing up. It wasn't looking good.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I have used the aluminum anodes on my aluminum outdrives now for several years. It was what Merc spec'ed and sold for my drives... and all that was easily obtainable.

After the first season I nearly went nuts trying to chase down real zinc annodes for those drives until my friendly neighborhood Merc mechanic showed me the factory memo saying to use aluminum ones. At that time my warranty was still in effect, so I gave up and went with the Ali.

It ceratinly is not intuitive that an aluminum anode could protect an aluminum outdrive, but the way these ali "zincs" diminish over a season suggests that they are indeed working.

All I can guess is that they must not be 100% aluminum.

Peter
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

They are most likely a different alloy.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

Given that I , nor anyone on my entire finger dock have anything electric plugged in, (and it was the first season for my Alpha1 outdrive), I was surprised at the worn condition of those anodes. They are by no means "standard". You MUST get them from Mercury. No way you'd ever sneak 2 seasons out of them. Trapped again!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Walter,
The presence of salt water as a conductor and dissimilar metals is enough to set up a galvanic action.

Ever do the high school science project of making a battery with salt water?

Think of plating in a raw form.
In Memory Walter K

I'm thinking of putting a small charger on the boat. Am I asking for trouble?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Not if its done correctly.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony are the Aluminum Anodes for a boat with I/O's or Inboards? I've been under the impression they are being put on Shafts and Rudders.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

sim wrote:Tony are the Aluminum Anodes for a boat with I/O's or Inboards? I've been under the impression they are being put on Shafts and Rudders.
They are on my 31. I was kind of shocked when I picked them up. One of the thoughts I had was that aluminum and stainless do not get along well, so how is this going to cut it on the shaft. I am not sure about this but people are telling me it works. Goes against the grain though.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315