Steyr fuel burn

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Steyr fuel burn

Post by Kevin »

Well, this is very preliminary, but what the heck. went for and overnighter this past weekend. Ran about 24 to 25 miles round trip. Started the trip with full tank. Filled the boat today and she took 13 gallons. That would put me close to 2 nmpg. I am still putting it to the pins on occasion and not maintaining constant cruising rpm. Still only 25 hours on the engines. Overall I would say that I am very pleased with these engines. Sounds like fuel consumtion will break the 2 nmpg barrier when things are all dialed in.
scot

Post by scot »

Congradulations, the magic number "2". Not many have it....all want it. My current project 25B should get there, but then again it will only have 1 engine!

Scot
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Kevin,
That's fantastic and a goal which most of us will,never achieve. What HP Styers do you have? Oh yes on one of my Keys runs (By my truck) I'll stop by and say hello. We go down to Key West, Cudjoe a few times a year. I never fished recently there because of the of the "Honey Do factor" . You got an awsome power plant there. I love the performance of my TAMD60C's but no feul burn like that I'm at 1. 1 KMPG now but I'm pushing a lot of weight and wind load. Go get em. Your going to have a blast with that powerplant. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dave,
I have the MO236K43. I can explain that. MO stands for motor. The 23 in 236 stands for maximum power potential of the rotating assembly/fuel pump. The 6 in 236 stands for 6 cylinders. K is the type of turbo, it is a KKK turbo which is water cooled, runs the same temp as the rest of the motor. Don't ask about the KKK thing, that I can't explain. You can touch both sides and not get burned. The 43 stands for the size of the turbo in millimeters I believe. If I am wrong about any of this info Bruce can edit for me I am sure. Now with that said these motors make 212 hp and 322 pounds of torque. Upgrade the computer and change the turbo you can make 230 hp. Probably not worth the money but it can be done.

26 hours on the engines and still have not had to add oil despite the break in period. I have been told that they get better performance after broken in and are quieter. They are quiet anyways. Hole shot is incredible. Bow never really gets up there or should I day she does not drag her ass. That one is courtesy of Hyena Lover. Makes me laugh every time I read that. Still not a rocket ship though...space shuttle, not that either! Top end with me on the boat and full tank of fuel is 27 Kts. Top end on sea trial with all my junk, full tank and six people in heavy seas and 5 batteries was 28 kts.....go figure. I think these boats need more weight in the stern, at least mine does. I filled the boat the other day and am logging exact milage with GPS. The next report will be more accurate. I still nail it though here and there per Steyr recomendations. They say do not be afraid to run it hard. Based on that I would say my fuel burn is higher than if I just left it at cruise all the time.

I would love to meet you or any of the other guys that are down here on vacation. All you need to do is tell me when you are coming down, I will make the time. We can even take her out and go fishing. Like I said, boating season never ends here, just be carefull where you go swimming!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I will be down late Friday night and all day Saturday. If you did not find a lap top, I can bring mine as long as you have software and cable. They havn't sent me mine yet. Don't mind spending an hour or so checking out the engines to determine rpm for you. Just make sure the bottom is clean.

If you want to meet, email a number where you can be reached.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I have the software but no cable. The bottome is clean, just dove it last night. I will call and see if I can order one.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Spoke with Sid. He is calling Chris first thing in the morning. Will have one overnighted to me. How old is your laptop? Sid tells me these cable are for older laptops. If it is new, than adaptor cable for the cable is also needed. I can borrow one if need be. My number is 305 481 0253. We can at least go for a booze cruise even if we don't get the cables. I am working nights starting on Friday so day time cruising works good for me. no nav lights yet anyways.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Bruce, should be here tomorrow by mail