Typical Riveria Beach Logic

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pete Fallon

Typical Riveria Beach Logic

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
The local TV had this story on the 11:00PM news cast. I didn't catch the whole report but here is the gist of the report. Capt Pat you'll get a kick out of this, after being a former resident of that wonderfully progressive sea side city.
An example of how the powers to be at Riveria Beach city council think. It seems that only 3 out of the 150 boat owners at the city owned dry stack building are city residents, the city charges $8.50 per foot for dry stack storage. They said that they would have to raise rates to $15.50 a foot a 53% increase in order to make money. So the decided to do away with all dry stack storage completely and lay-off 8 employees. The building is supposed to house 300 boats but only 150 are in use now because they wouldn't lease the other spaces on the thought Rybrovich and Hizinga (spelling?)were going to buy that peice of property, which didn't happen. Grossebeak mentality in a crappy economy at it's finest form.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pete,
It goes much farther than that. Did you catch the story about the Tiki Hut a year or so ago that it was paying pennies on the dollar to the city for rent and the city was paying for the utilities also?

The place is a dump, the city could have reaped funds yet the residents, apparently only 3 from your story, were complaining that there would be no place for the residents to keep their boats and sold the property.

Lets see, Singer Island is mostly canal homes so they don't need a city marina. The land side, well I don't know too many crack dealers and street whores who own boats and that from a person who's business was right on Broadway south of 13th st for 10 years.

That place has been in redevelopment for 35 years and "0", zilch, nada has been accomplished toward the water front redevelopment.

The only thing thats changed is marinas were sold for stupid money to high pocket yacht companies.

50 years from now that place will still be a dump as long as the mentaly ill land lubbers keep electing fools like masters and council members like him.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have always thought Singer Island could be a gem, due to it's location, and beaches. Palm Beach Shores values should be higher. Riviera Beach's decisions have really hampered that area and unfortunately I don't see those locations getting the high values that they could.

Sailfish Marina is the main business in that corner adding any value or class on the island side.

Why did the Buc close? That place was a favorite.

Steve
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bruce & Steve,
Steve,
The Buc closed after Ed Murray died, they sold it to the people at Sailfish, 2 hurricanes back to back in 2004 did a lot of water damage to the kitchen and dining room, the bar was still OK.

Bruce,
I thought you would respond to that news report. Like you said there is no leadership in the elected officials of that city. They are all just looking for someone with deep pockets to grease their palms.

What race team are you working with, I was watching last years summer nationals on the speed channel the other night didn't remember who you were with.

Have a good weekend, a group of holy jumpers are predicting the end of the world on Saturday.

Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The race team is in moth balls this year due to lack of sponsorship.

Last I wrenched on it was January or so and tore the motor down, re degre'd the cam for a better launch, assembled the engine and we didn't even have money to put oil back in to test fire it.

Its sitting in the race shop under cover and is actualy for sale but times are tough and the buyer money isn't there.

Last years schedule reminded me its a young mans game.
Beech Bend Park about killed me. 4 18 hour days in 95 degree temps crewing two cars sleeping in a hot race car trailer and showering under 40 degree water.

I still never saw the epsiode we shot on pass time for speed channel.

Also I remember a much better looking group of females hanging out in the pits in my days of racing as a yout.

I guess they all grew up and are still hanging out, ewwww.