48 Footer runs aground

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

48 Footer runs aground

Post by Tony Meola »

Looks like the manufacturer of this boat needs to learn how to build reinforced strut pads. The article says that the grounding forced the propeller and the drive shaft up through the bottom of the boat. Talk about getting that burning sensation in the pit of your stomach.

http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/ ... inks-inlet
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
captbone

Post by captbone »

The problem is that these new sportfishers are capable of cruising at 35mph++. The speeds these boats are doing is crazy and running aground a 70,000lb boat at 35mph into a 2ft shoal results in what you see.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If I am not mistaken, the Army Corp of Engineers strikes again?
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Somebody should have put up a sign!
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Expensive lesson.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I have no idea how a person who could afford that boat could possibly feel?

Hopefully no one is hurt. It does suck though.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

One thing my DAD drummed into me at an early age running a boat was never follow anyone else thru an unknown to you water way or inlet, don't rely 100% on markers in unknown areas ads use local knowlege when dealing with unknown areas.

Many a time our trip preps included my dad calling to places we would go and talking to local marinas about markers and possible shoaling and obstacles.

We can blame the Corp of Army Engineers, but in reality the responsibility for the boats safety relys 100% on the shoulders of the guy behind the wheel.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

What Bruce said.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

OK. This is a remarkable example and I’m glad no one was hurt. To add insult to this injury, I’m sure there was 2x, 3x, more? times the value of my boat in systems on that $1m sportfish that could have been used to prevent the outcome. And I agree completely that the captain is where the buck stops… But - maybe it's a sailboat thing or just Northeast Pinko Relativism but the only captains I know who haven't "touched bottom" ain't been any where...

It's not even always a bad thing-
Legend has it, round about Memorial Day weekend 1974 a sail boat runs aground just a few yards off the dock in Nantucket. The tide isn't finished falling and the crew is too hung-over from the night before to do much about it. Fortunately, the sail boat was in a race to the island the day before and many of their competitors are on the dock to laugh at them. Instead of helping, one of the competitors throws a few bottles of champagne to the sail boat and everybody sits around drinking and telling jokes until the tide floats the sail boat off. Ever since the Sunday morning joke session has been part of the Figawi race....
Possunt quia posse videntur
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

When I was fishing out of Harkers Island, NC, I didn't dare run the boat without a local aboard, the bay is full of water and many times only 1 to 2 feet deep. Local knowledge is keep the bushy tree on the stern, the boat lift on your starboard quarter, and when you get close to the ferry dock, make a 90 degree turn!

What does amuse me are the comments I always hear about "didn't his depth sounder work?" I'm sure it did, it went from 20 feet to 3 feet just as he ran aground. Nothing like reading a chart, plotting a course, and not hooking up and running WOT in unfamiliar waters. Anyone ever watched the charter fleet come in at Oregon Inlet? Seeing 50' to 70' custom Carolina sportfishes hooked up and running, many times withhin 50 yards of someone wade fishing in knee deep water!
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Oregon Inlet is worse now 3 boats ran aground this winter. Some of the captains are having everyone put life vest on stay seated untile the inlet is clear. This summer is going to be fun. Corp has no money after june 10 I think. That channel we run in Oregon Inlet is a natural slough marked with barrels and balls. Last summer the bouys going to the fishing center were laying on sand at low tide. No room for error.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Of course we all run aground. The difference is running any boat through a body of water you do not know hard enough to drive the struts straight through the hull. That is not the responsibility of the Army Corps of Engineer.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I'm not blaming the Army Corps of Engineers for bad seamanship problems. I blame them for all the "corrections" they have made to our harbors, inlets and shorelines that have created more problems than they have solved. In fact, I am still waiting to hear one they "solved" that remained "solved" five years later. Out on the south shore of Long Island, right out to Montauk, if the locals had been listened to, we'd be in much better shape....but nooooo, local yokels don't know as much about these things as we "engineers" do.
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

I always miss the excitement. Must have been mowing the grass.
As a local, about all that I can say is that it's always been a somewhat risky inlet. Been next to a bouy (on the correct side) and had the depth change from plenty to about 8 feet once. I guess I was hugging the side too close but it caught my attention.
tjhartsr

Post by tjhartsr »

you all keep that in mind around moriches.as the sea tow guy handed me the tow bill from a sand bar in the bay.Oh you cant follow the bouys there in the wrong place?i guess it keeps him in business.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

tjhartsr wrote:you all keep that in mind around moriches.as the sea tow guy handed me the tow bill from a sand bar in the bay.Oh you cant follow the bouys there in the wrong place?i guess it keeps him in business.
Ask Dick Dean. There is no good reason to be running your inboard boat through Moriches if you don't know that area like the back of your hand. I don't like running a bigger outboard boat through there.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Moriches is a great place for a small boat. Navigating that inlet in any conditions or finding your way east along dune road is not fun. Having fished moriches a lot it is not uncommon to see bigger boats stop around bouy 26. Locals will usually come up and tell them which way to go just to get the sea rays away from their fishing spot.

I'm already planning on going out fire island and in shinnecock to get to Greenport. Was out in moriches once this year and I felt like I'd need a bunch of hours running around just to find my route with the Bertram.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
randall

Post by randall »

mike and i saw a 125 foot sailboat completely block off the entrance to new harbor on block island. well almost. we snuck out under the bow.

santa barbara harbor is one of the worst....has to be dredged constantly.

but the sand bar makes a great surfing wave.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

That was really quite a sight. A bunch of guys in uniform standing tall before the man..... Boat sideways in the inlet.

I wish we had taken pictures.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315