Piling caps

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Piling caps

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Faithful - I've got 10 round pilings that hold up my dock across the back yard of my camp, rainge in diameter from about 8 to 10". I need to put flat plastic black round caps on them to slow down the rot. But.....after some google work, the damn things cost in the range of $13-18 each....now that's just plain ole hi way robbery....anyone got a source a little cheaper?

UV, po' ole retired guy
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Pine Tar instead?
Possunt quia posse videntur
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

UV,how about cutting the bottoms off clorox bottles, and nail them on. not to fancy but effective...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I just bought some of the "Cone Shaped" caps last week......think they were in the $10-$12 range.

They are still in my truck (protecting the back seat from rot...LOL) I have not installed them yet.....will find out how much and let you know.

Even at $11 that is still high......

hb
hb
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Look for kids sand buckets of around the same diameter and cut down. Also, Paint stores sell cheap plastic containers of varying diameters very inexpensively.
In Memory of Vicroy

I ran some of those same ideas by the Bride, like cut down plastic flower pots, etc....she sort of looks at those like putting aluminum foil on the inside of the windows in your double wide. One of our camp neighbors has the real sho' nuff black plastic flat piling caps (flat so you can put your beer can on them) and has vetoed half ass fixes. She's kinda like that, hi maintaince if you know what I mean.

UV
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

You need the pointy ones to keep the grobeck from landing.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harry, What's your source?
Same problem, Vic, highfreakingway robbery and high maintenance women. Think I agree on this one though, nice stuff all round including a Bertram 31, so why cheap out at the end? I need about twenty of those little beasts in various sizes and have been putting it off. Since I will be working on Dreamsicle this summer, (got to finish the interior) sure would be nice to tidy up the place.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

nice stuff all round including a Bertram 31, so why cheap out at the end?
Exxx-Actly!

Even at $15 a piece delivered, it ain't an overwelming spend. And you don't come out lookin' like Sanford & Son.

I concure with mikeO about the pointed tops, and black will takes years more sun than white....
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I guess I am just old school. Copper used to make the best ones, but unless you have some excess flashing lying around it would be even more expensive. Aluminum might work OK where you are since the water is pretty brackish. Cut a circle bigger than the piling , segment it and bend it over the piling and nail the tabs.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

They started putting them on the pilings around here till the Animal activists thought it was cruel to the Sea Gulls, as they could no longer land on the poles...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I've got something the animal activists can land on....

In Memory of Vicroy

You guys are like democrats, enjoy spending someone else's money. Okay, okay, I'll buy the damn real ones....I notice they come in hlaf inch increments so I'll measure again this week to get it real, real pretty. I even got complaints last week that the Pedal Yacht was sorta dirty and I was falling down on my job as a Boat Slave.

I can't afford to be this rich.

UV
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

UV, How bout polyester resin n a few layers of fabric, tint the resin, black, white or what ever color the brides eyes are....each piling would have a custom fit...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mikey wrote:Harry, What's your source?
http://www.wigmanshardware.com/

I just happened to be in there last week and saw the Piling Caps. I have for several years now intended to cut some SS rings and fabricate piling covers........in the end it probably would only cost me $50K to cover 6 pilings......just kidding guys.....LOL

Here's the scoop......A 10" dia cap is $10.99 and a 7" cap I paid $8.99.

So here ya go Vic.....you and Andre' drive over one morning.....to the tune of nearly $4 per gallon.....let me know when and I will meet you at that Swedish Restruant (ie McDonalds) and we will have lunch.....pick up the caps and head back home.

Or if you like I will go get them and UPS them to you......and anyone else for that matter. I may even be heading to Houston in a few weeks.....and could make a special delivery to Drusillas.

On another note.....the reason I was at Wigmans was to purchase a product called "Encore". I discovered it at the boat show this year. Encore is a product that when all mixed up is a water based polymer that is used to coat deck boards and delay decay. My deck at the river is getting pretty shabby. We will most likely be putting Encore on in a couple of weeds. I fell in love with the idea. I will take pics before and after.....I know several of you guys have docks and I thought this may be of interest to ya.

hb
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.mercoboatdocks.com/our-produ ... lack/round

Try these people. Might be a couple of dollars cheaper.

I will give you another alternative, which my neighbor did after I gave him the idea. He used 5200 but basically take a tube of black silocone and spread it over the top of the piling . Home Cheapo stuff should work. Depending on the size of the piling you might be able to do two pilings to a tube. He did his about 11 years ago. They look like the could be recoated again.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

You guys are funny. Deep pockets, but short little arms!!!
In Memory of Vicroy

Tony - thanks, you hit the jackpot....the 8, 9 & 10" ones I need are only 5&6 bucks, what they ought to be...and all they have in round is the pointy ones, so Grosbeak-be-gone. I'll design and mount separate beer can holders.

Thanks again, the Faithful always come thru.

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

UV,

Up our way, the installers nail lead flashing in place. Works fine.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

Dug
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

UV

I have used them and learned that not all pilings fit them tight. Some 10 inchers are 91/2 inches some are 11 etc.

For some stange reason trees just don't grow perfectly round. (LOL) When you nail them on, don't go too tight or they will split.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks....when I measured the other day I was leaving some slack...if any fit too tight I'll take a hatchet to the top.

Thanks again for the heads up on the place, I ordered 10 of various sizes today.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

Got my $5 piling caps from Merco Marine and they are excellent. Fast service too. Thanks again Faithful.

UV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

UV

They are pretty good. They have been around for some time. Not bad for a shop from West Virginia.

When I ordered from them, I had a couple of caps that cracked within a couple of weeks. They replaced them no questions asked.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Tony, thanks again. They sent a catalog with the caps and looks like a real fun family operation (all they make are dock parts, etc) with no-nonsense pricing. I particularly like their seaplane lift for a float plane. Reminds me of years ago at Port Eads when a buddy of mine who had a jazzed-up Cessna 185 on floats had Buzzy Scarabin, the harbormaster, build him a seaplane ramp so he could run the 185 up on it next to his houseboat which was moored next to Andre's. Seaplane floats leak like Swiss cheese and the plane might sink overnight, plus several hundred pounds of water in the floats makes the plane resemble a large brick in the flying dept. The 185 had amphib. floats with wheels you could lower to taxi it on land....so anyway, Buzzy, his late brother Wayne, and some other Einstiens of Port Eads designed and built a heavy duty seaplane ramp at untold, but certainly staggering cost. It was the envy of all until the plane owner tried to taxi the 185 up the ramp onto the platform....hmmm, the ramp was a little steep and the po' ole 185 didn't have 4WD....the tail dipped into the muddy water and the red & white flying machine lurched to a stop halfway up the ramp....took a dozen drunks to push it back into the water. The ill-fated seaplane ramp became first a great BBQ spot, then the goats took it over and turned it into a Goat-a-minium. Never learned how the warranty worked out, but knowing Buzzy & The Port Eads Way, I suspect my buddy ended up paying full price twice.

Anyway, Merco seems to be a good place of dock stuff.

UV
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Vicroy wrote:but knowing Buzzy & The Port Eads Way, I suspect my buddy ended up paying full price twice.
UV
And the materials were probably on permanent loan from the State......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315