Halibut Fishing Alaska w Capt Tony

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bayside Bert28

Halibut Fishing Alaska w Capt Tony

Post by Bayside Bert28 »

A friend from Maine is heading to Alaska in a couple of weeks to do some Halibut fishing on board the "Rita" (a 31 Bertram) with Capt. Tony.

Is anybody familiar with this charter operation or this trip?

http://falconcharters.com/halibut_boat.htm

Looks like a blast.

Mike
1981 Bertram 28 Flybridge CruiserThird Strike II1984 Bertram 54 Big Buddy
jrhaszard

Alaska Fishing

Post by jrhaszard »

Used to fish out of Nanilchik for Halibut.Big ones.Vacuum packed and flash frozen and brought home on the plane.Also,king salmon fillets. and steaks.Tape the lid of the coolers and the fish will still be rock hard when you get home.
BERG1847M80F
gmelvin

Post by gmelvin »

Mike, I ran a charter boat out of Ninilchik AK from 1990 to 2000. I fished Cook Inlet and ran out of Homer many times. A few things to know. April and early May are early season and it's hit or miss but I'm sure these guy's know what they're doing. In the early season I believe the big fish are moving in from the ocean and will follow the salmon run up into Cook Inlet. Most charters out of Homer will try to get to the Barren Islands when they can to get the bigger fish and it's a great sightseeing trip. Whales, Orca's, sea lions, birds, sea otters, and lot's of other sights. It's about a 3 hour run but the 31' will beat-em all there. Ask me how I know? If it's real snotty they will stay close in but there should still be good fish. Seldom do they not get a limit. If they get a couple of good ones (80-100) they will have LOT'S of meat to ship back to Main. Halibut filets keep a fresh flavor extremely well, frozen for a year or more.

In Alaska the fish is all about the tides, average tides I think are the best tides to fish. They will likely be fishing for 150' to 5oo'+ with 2lb to 3lb weights. You don't want to miss a bite and have to do a bait check.

Hope they have a great trip. the photos below are form a trip we took out of Homer a few years ago.

Glenn