Sword fight in the head!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stephan

Sword fight in the head!

Post by Stephan »

I figure it’s just a matter of time until one or both of my boys (or someone bigger) ignore my, “whatsamatterwiththebay?” and head in to the head. Normally not a problem, but as Carl noticed from my intro, the electrical panel is in the head - directly behind the bowl, and a bit of swashbuckling is to be expected when you’re five (and a half).

My initial instinct was to try and arrange a low non-lethal current as a bit of aversion therapy. However, Nigel Calder doesn’t provide any formulas or suggestions for what’s the preferred solution. So two questions:

Would peein’ on the panel represent any real danger to the boys?

How much imagination do I need to use to get from the boys crossing the streams to needing a tow home?

I’m thinking a bit o’ eisenglass (ez2pe?) might be in order. Also, I do not use the AC side of the panel, we haven’t needed it and keep the boat on a mooring.

Thanks,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

You could install a raised hinged lexan door over the entire face of it with a latch on one side. Would keep the direct splash off of the panel.

Eddy G.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

It looks to me that with the lid up it would be pretty hard to piss on the panel, especially for a 5 year old.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Or a slide down panel of lexan with teak side pieces for it to slide in. Rout a groove in the sides of the teak and then fasten them on either side of the panel. I assume this is a 12 volt bus and not 110?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bruce wrote:It looks to me that with the lid up it would be pretty hard to piss on the panel, especially for a 5 year old.
Bruce. I have to strongly disagree, I'd bet they could darn near piss on just about anything. Point out that they shouldn't and you can almost guarantee they will.

That being said I offer no solution and Bruce may be right.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Myth Busters had a feature on peeing on the third rail -- if I remember correctly, noone got a charge out of the process!
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Ever notice what happens to metal around public toilets, or the radiator covers if they're close to a toilet? I'd protect your panel from the pissers.

You could ask people to sit but enforcing that would be tough. Could be you're next video!
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Especially if anyone goes while you are running in a seaway!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Use an opaque lexan and you'll at least see the stains to wipe up. Also, what you don't see is less tempting to pee on.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i would worry more about corrosion with the acid, put up some plexy class
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Carl

Post by Carl »

I like the Polycarbonate/ lexan route. Channeled as mentioned so it slides down to a stop. Something that can be lifted quickly with a catch on top to hold in place.

I really didn't see a danger to the boys, (I would have made a clear point of mentioning that)...but cannot see a benefit to urinating on an electrical panel.

Two other issues with a panel directly behind the throne...boredom and having Cool Switches to play with, then you have the un-intentional flipping of switches, if leaning back, dropping something...new roll of TP, towel, getting changed...wave hits, you hit wave.

If the switches only shut the AM/FM Radio and Microwave...no big deal...but if it kills power to pumps, motors, running lights, VHF Radio...I'd cover it as it would be flicked off at the worst time possible.

...and Bruce, lids have been known to fall...and not just on 5 year olds.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Well I don't know how you do it up there in the northern territory, but we southerners teach our kids not to wizz on the electric fence so to speak.

Besides boat toilets are for women and Patriots fans, real men wizz off the transom.

In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Two suggestions. 1. Teach the boys to pee in a bucket or overboard. 2. Boys will be boys. Put in an opaque lexan slider or teak panel. Then drill a 1/16" (or less) hole through the track and the slider in the down position and insert a stainless or bronze nail through it. It will lock the whole thing up and only you will know that that little shiny head has to be removed to have access to those switches.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Stephan,
As a practicing marine surveyor I would write that panel up as a safety voilation in a heart beat. Anytime electrical panels are near any type of water source, they have to have a means of keeping water off the switches, breakers and meters. Like most of the guys said, make an enclosure out of Lexan and make it as water tight as possible. Kids will find a way to piss on them and if someone is in the head they can hit the switches with their elbows reaching for the paper or just trying to operate the head controls in a seaway the switches can be moved by mistake. Do it before you start using the boat for the season, I am supprised your surveyor didn't bring it up during the pre-purchase survey.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Ditto what Bruce said!
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote:
Besides boat toilets are for women and Patriots fans, real men wizz off the transom.

While I agree...sometimes not a great idea dockside, or when running with mixed company. Not saying it hasn't been done...just saying not a great idea

Teach a kid what you like, but he'll still write his name in the snow...electric fence or not.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Thanks guys for the guidance. The panel is all 12v. There is a 110 side but I don’t use it and plan on pulling the old shore power plugs and wiring. Here’s the plan:
1- Pull panel and make sure it’s not corroded on the back side per Ed/Charlie’s comments and check for discoloration or signs of heat/stress.
2- Spray with CX?
3- Mount lexan sliding enclosure
4- Routered rails per Rawliegh’s comment with a latch to hold open and a pin to lock shut per Walter’s suggestion.
5- Put big Patriots logo on lexan
6- Invite Bruce to test the enclosure at Greenport
By the way does anybody recognize the brand of head? I can’t find any markings on the top, front or sides and have to un-mount it to see the back…
Thanks,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur