Removin old glue

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PaulJ

Removin old glue

Post by PaulJ »

My spring project is updating my cockpit. I'm re-doing the cockpit covering boards, re-coring the gunnels (rotted out under rod holders and other holes on gunnels), re-chroming deck hardware, etc. Behind the port and stbd covering boards it appears that there used to be vinyl liner glued to the hull. It appears the previous owner ripped out the liner and painted bilge coat gray over what was left. The paint is peeling off and I can see what looks like old, cracked putty (glue?) on the hull side.

Question, should I even try to get this stuff off? It will be behind the covering board, but can be seen through the holes. If I do try to prep for repainting, how do I do it? Sand it off? Any chemicals to break up the stuff? Is this the same as the stuff I've read about the hull liner in the v-berth?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

PaulJ
'73 B28 - PALADIN
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Paul,

Wire brushing the area by hand will remove most, if not all, of the old paint and contact adhesive. Resist the thought of using a wire wheel and power tool because the friction will turn the old contact cement to goo.

Remove all the dust and debris and wipe down with denatured alcohol. Repaint with a 2 part epoxy primer and then the paint of your choice.

For a faired surface, skip the primer and epoxy laminate in a piece of Formica or other similar hard laminate. Prep and paint as usual.
Carl

Post by Carl »

CaptPatrick wrote:Paul,

Resist the thought of using a wire wheel and power tool because the friction will turn the old contact cement to goo.

This would have been some really AWESOME advice a couple years ago...spent an 1/2hour wiring brushing off contact cement which later needed to be redone as it wound up just being a huge sticky mess, followed by several hours of washing and waxing the boat I flicked all the sticky stuff onto...I couldn't see the side of that boat till the sun went down a bit, then "OH SH$T all the little gobbules along the hull side, they would either blow off or smeared.... Of course I could just do the section I made a mess on...so I did the whole boat. That wound up being one happy camper(boater)...

So yes, I too concur...do not wire brush!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

A carbide scraper also works good.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
boatnuts

Post by boatnuts »

Get some Multistrip paint remover from local hardware or paint store. It will not harm fiberglass. Easy to use. Takes about 24 hours to work but is effortless and effective.