Yanmar Running takeouts 260hp

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

TailhookTom

Yanmar Running takeouts 260hp

Post by TailhookTom »

Note, I have ZERO financial interest in this - I noted them on Craiglist, and doing some due diligence confirmed that Port Niantic in Niantic, CT took them out.

If you have any questions or require any additional information, followup with their service manager, Tiger LeBelle -- note, he owns my old volvo powered B31 Tailhook! He is a good guy and will be straight up with you.

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/2282097655.html
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tom, What boat did they come out of?
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug: I don't know, I didn't ask Tiger.

How was Bora Bora?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I'd pass on the 260's even as new, never liked them.

I'm trying to negotiate on a pair of 315 6bta's that came out of a Carolina Classic. Those who know the boat know they are impossible to work on thus the impellers were never changed and one over heated and cracked an exhaust manifold. Not so much as to turn the paint dark as I've seen before.

Pulled both heads off and the cross hatch is still on the cylinder walls. Total hours are under 1000.

Price is for the core charges as the owners putting remans in.
spencer

Post by spencer »

Bruce what do you think for my rebuild?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

They would be okay if I can get them. Will know tomorrow.
Will need gears.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tom,

It was great. I may run into Tiger soon. He helped my buddy Dave do new cutlass bearings yesterday.

D
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug:

You sure don't need them for Alchemy! I don't think they would fit in a B25 without making the engine box "redonkulous."

Tom
Harv

Post by Harv »

Bruce wrote:I'd pass on the 260's even as new, never liked them.

I'm trying to negotiate on a pair of 315 6bta's that came out of a Carolina Classic. Those who know the boat know they are impossible to work on thus the impellers were never changed and one over heated and cracked an exhaust manifold. Not so much as to turn the paint dark as I've seen before.

Pulled both heads off and the cross hatch is still on the cylinder walls. Total hours are under 1000.

Price is for the core charges as the owners putting remans in.
spencer wrote:Bruce what do you think for my rebuild?
Damn.....It seems I'm always a day late, and maybe too far away to have done something with these engines. But if there's any possibility, I am interested.
Harv
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Sorry Spencer, Harv,

Cummins wouldn't come off the cores, they want them back desperatly.

Foolishly I thought all the favors owed me for pulling peoples asses out of the fire for 30 years meant something. I found out they are as worthless as tits on a nun.

I'll keep looking.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Bruce - I think you can sum up your experience with Cummins by your tag line. You only get loyalty when they can get something out of you down the road, not for all the past efforts.

Shortsighted management! I can tell you where their integrity went -- into some middle managers bonus this year!
spencer

Post by spencer »

Bruce, thanks for trying and giving us a shot at them.

Spencer
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

TailhookTom wrote:Shortsighted management! I can tell you where their integrity went -- into some middle managers bonus this year!
Tom

Problem is with the part stream on some engines drying up due to the issues in Japan, the shortsightedness at places at Cummins will get worse.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Cummins parts made in Japan?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

no walterk but there is still quite a few parts made in England.i guess we all know than cummins all but elliminated yanmar in china and pacific rim countrys .the big guns still go to cat . cummins stock went thru the roof from the 78.00 to over 100.00 a share . cat even did better . one of the very few american companys to pull it off "made in america".
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks anyway Bruce. It was worth the shot.
Harv
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

So I stopped by Port Niantic today to see what was up with those Yanmar 260s -- come to find out, they came out of a Bertram 31 - Grasshopper, the beautiful dark green Hunter Scott redo. The owner decided to move up the the 315 Yanmars.

These motors are in great shape, as Dug Stow knows, Grasshopper's owner is fastidious in his maintenance and spares no expense on her.

They won't fit in the B25, however, a nice brand new pair of 3.0 Mercruisers with Alpha 1s seem like they will meet all the requirements for me!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Da Judge, Trey Dibrell has a pair of 3.0s in his 25 and it flies. His is the express model but I fished on it off Port Eads in UVI days and I was very impressed with it's performance.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Thanks, Walter. I remember over a year ago you highly recommended the 3.0s. While diesel would be nice, it seems like an awful lot more money without a big increase in range on the 3.0s. Yes, the longevity of the diesels is substantially greater, however, due to the neck damage, I'm not going to be trying to make 90 miles runs every weekend, or at all for that matter!

Therefore, a new drivetrain with a factory 3 year warranty installed for under 20k seems like a wise move to me.