Northern California Guys OK?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

Northern California Guys OK?

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I've been hearing and reading all kinds of confused reports about Northern California boat damage as a result of the Tsunami activities in the Pacific. Not knowing exactly where everybody is. I'm hoping all our brethren are OK. Please post any info if you can. Our thoughts are with all who have been affected by this disaster.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Like historic events of the past, accurate news accounts will take days to come in despite the technology we have.

System overload in the media.
John F.

Post by John F. »

FWIW, my buddy out in Oahu who keeps his boat on Kaneohe Bay did fine. Afte conferring with some guys with more experience, he left his boat in his slip and it rode out whatever just fine.

I was out there last week--we got about 15 bigeye 25-60 lbs and 10 or so mahi (small) in a few hours and quit at noon. And we were in sight of land the whole time and maybe 8 miles off. Pull up lines at noon, at the dock by 1 pm--we were about 25 miles up the coast. Fishing in Hawaii is good, real good.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
randall

Post by randall »

my friend on kauai said the water did run off the reef a bit but it was nothing. waves are 4-6 and clean.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Hopefully we will hear something soon from Opunui.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Sorry I've been out of touch for a while, been real busy.
I think only northern ca really got effected by the events, like crescent city and north past ca's border into Oregon.
I've heard san fransisco bay area was too far south to have real effect.
Boats lost are one thing on this end of the tsunami, but man those poor folks at the origin, it is sad to see that horrific event happen to people.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Rocky,
I'd be getting some pottasium iodide real soon given the possible meltdown scenario going on and prevailing winds.

Potassium Iodide (KI) tablets taken a half hour or more before exposure, and then for the next 7-10 days, saturates your thyroid gland with safe stable iodine where if you then later inhale or ingest radioactive iodine your body simply eliminates it.

Its also good for general toxin flushing of your body.

It provides nearly 100% protection from radioiodine and resulting thyroid cell damage and abnormalities, such as loss of thyroid function, nodules in the thyroid, or thyroid cancer.

After the Chernoble accident, thyroid issues were pretty much the only thing seen down the road.

If either of the "FOUR" reactors develop what's called the 'Elephants foot'(the phrase used for the actual melting of the fuel rods) there will be radioactive fallout for a long time and for a long distance.

The effects of Chernoble were felt as far as Canada, and more so the background Gamma is present around the world today.

That was 1 reactor with carbon based moderation rods. These Japanese reactors are Mitsubishi models loosely copied from the earlier Westinghouse designs.

Russia's solution was to entomb the reactor containment building in Cement, but at the cost of over 1000 lives of soldiers and local workers.

The surrounding populace is still showing genetic effects long after the somatic effects were ruled to no longer exist.

The moderate case scenario is a global increase in background gamma radiation, the worst case scenario will be contamination level events along the U.S west coast, some less than moderate readings in the midwest.

Hawaii may be bear the brunt of airborne, plume carried radioisotopic contamination.

In short, don't head for the bunker(this time).
But do continue to monitor the news concerning releases of radioactive effluents.
In Memory Walter K

If atomic energy was ever a consideration stateside, it's taken 6 giant steps backwards because of this.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ooj0-pWuTs?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ooj0-pWuTs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kjx-JlwYtyE?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kjx-JlwYtyE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Bruce thank you for that info, that's one thing I did not see coming on so strong. It looks like right in our path. So is that pottasium iodide an over the counter supplement or prescribed, and safe for kids? Walter your absolutely right, say goodbye to any nuclear energy on this coast, and oil drilling as well. Yikes. Capt Pat thanks for those videos too, very informative.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Rocky wrote:So is that pottasium iodide an over the counter supplement or prescribed, and safe for kids?
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/potassium-iodide.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5188770_potassium-iodide.html
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you Bruce and Capt Pat, our family has the KI on it's way now. A serious consideration for anyone that is in the path of the trade winds from Japan to follow those instructions on obtaining KI and precautions before using it. From what I have read and what Bruce pointed out it is a product that really does not effect one in a negative way and the possible benefits protecting the Thyroid far outweigh the possibilities if you do nothing about Thyroid protection. Another consideration we are acting on is not buying any local grown farm and pasture foods for the period of higher rad levels.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/EmergencyPrepa ... 072265.htm
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

With all due respect...

There are no risks for North America. For that matter, there are virtually no real risks for Japan...

Japanese reactors have nothing in kind with those at Chernobyl. Sadly, it takes very little knowledge to be a reporter, and those with the knowledge are not listened to. You don't get hits to your site or viewers on your channel if you are not provocative...

Here's a blog that is fairly well written at a low level for those who are interested...

http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/ ... -reactors/

Meanwhile, relax.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I think I covered the don't panic with my last statement.

"In short, don't head for the bunker(this time).
But do continue to monitor the news concerning releases of radioactive effluents."

And yes big headlines sells news. And yes we're not always told how bad things really are either.

Like fire extinguisers, its better to have em and not need em than to need em and not have em.

And while much of the info I posted came from a friend of mine who works and is an engineer at the nuke plant about 60 miles north of me, I remarked to him that all the engineers didn't expect the tunnel in Boston to collapse and kill people in cars either.

Sometimes mother nature will take your calculator and chuck it out the window.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocky

I believe that Potassium Iodide has a shelf life of about two years. This reminds me, I have the tablets down by the boat.

The boat is located in the shadow of the oldest operating plant in the US. About 5 years ago the county issued tablets to those in the area. I need to check the dates on those pills.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the shoreham nuclear plant (general electric) had as a last resort 8-8" bronze everdor pipes in the long island sound to flood the inner containment but even more important safeguard if power coming from two seperate power houses failed as well as 5 generators, a huge edison based battery room ,all failed the last resort to pull the rods was 100 large compress air cyliders with both auto and mechanical operation. apparently there back up power went down the shoreham plant was entirely built to catagory 5 standards the highest type of contruction to absorb a # 9 scale earthquake.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

bob...i once spent two weeks in the hospital, my roommate was a construction worker on shoreham. all i can say is thank god that plant never went on line if half the stuff he told me was true. they cut corners and pocketed material like there was no tomorrow....which is probably what would have happened.

and i'm a big fan of nuclear power. wish i had it in my boat so i wouldnt have to worry about ethanol.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

bob lico wrote:the shoreham plant was entirely built to catagory 5 standards the highest type of contruction to absorb a # 9 scale earthquake.
Bob

It wasn't the category 9 that knocked the plants out, it was the wall of water cutting off the power to the pumps. The took the Cat 9 just fine.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory Walter K

Tony-No, it was global warming's fault, you know that...
Harv

Post by Harv »

Actually, i found through a medical newsletter that I subscribe to that Potasium Iodate (KIO3) is even better than Potasium Iodide. It too is safe for children. I also emailed everyone on my Bertram31 mailing list a copy of the newsletter email, stating the differences between the 2. If you don't get the email, send me a PM with your address and I'll get it out to you.
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Silly me. Just realized a link to view the newsletter as a webpage....
here's the link

http://viewpage.benchmarkemail.com/c/v? ... d=266BCD6A
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Rocky wrote:Thank you Bruce and Capt Pat, our family has the KI on it's way now. A serious consideration for anyone that is in the path of the trade winds from Japan to follow those instructions on obtaining KI and precautions before using it. From what I have read and what Bruce pointed out it is a product that really does not effect one in a negative way and the possible benefits protecting the Thyroid far outweigh the possibilities if you do nothing about Thyroid protection. Another consideration we are acting on is not buying any local grown farm and pasture foods for the period of higher rad levels.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/EmergencyPrepa ... 072265.htm
The thyroid craves Iodine. It doesn't care if it's good or bad Iodine. When my thyroid went whacky in 98, the Dr. gave me
131-I to destroy my thyroid. 131-I is exactly what is coming out of the reacters. As far as foods, best to get canned goods or frozen foods for at least 90 days. There's more information in the link I put in my previous post
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harv

I don't think the brand that they sell is FDA approved.

I read this about purchasing Potasium Iodide.

Iosat, is the only full strength, FDA approved tablet available. FDA approval is key when purchasing potassium iodide. Ask yourself - If you had cancer and could take a drug that would cure it, would you take an FDA regulated and approved drug, or a non-approved drug? Then ask - If you could take a pill to possibly prevent cancer would you take an FDA Approved drug or a non-approved drug? Life-Extension (LEF), Pro-KI and Potassium IodATE (different spelling, different drug) are not FDA Approved for radiation emergencies. Don't take the chance with cancer. Stay with FDA approved drugs like Iosat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315