70 Knot Charterboat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

70 Knot Charterboat

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The latest issue of The Fisherman has an ad in it for a charter boat out of New Bedford Mass. named the Onset Chief Express. It's a 38 ft Fountain Tournament Center Console powered by four 300 hp outboards. The ad says it's the "World's Fastest Offshore Charter Boat! She cruises at 70 loaded, top end 98!". The next line (which I find hysterical) is "Spring Porgy Run-Porgies GUARANTEED! Special Bluefin and Canyon Trips call for dates". Can you imagine hiring that boat to fish for Porgies? The number is 774-269-1007 if anyone wants a fast Porgy day this Spring.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Walter, I have a friend who has the same boat. His is a cuddy, with triple 275 outboards.

Amazing boat. Absolutely amazing. You might even enjoy the ride!!!! :)

She handles big water just beautifully. Not at 70, but easy at 30 plus. Just incredible...

That being said, as a charter boat? That's funny. Each to their own!

Just remember Sam G. over at Star Island likes to fish Marlena for fluke more than anything else. And that is a 95' beauty!!! Imagine setting up for fluke in that? Heck yeah!!!! We were spin casting for mahi of high fliers this summer off her, and it was great! Then I realized it was on a 95' yacht, and I had to take a breath.

Awesome...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

dug you know i am not going to comment but trust me i have to hang the bullsh-it sign on this one . possitively does not do 98 with 4 -300hp veradoes with 6 people and gear. and he is not the fastest our`s does 102wot and cruse at 76 and that is a all out dublicate 32' of skater cat with modified twin 480hp yanmars with "million dollar" 3 speed gears.as a charter taking 4 people to canyon would have a operating cost of 2,000 plus captain/ mate pay / bait/ and overhead. i could go out inlet to fi reef and garrantee porgy with 23 regulator.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

I hear ya. My buddy gets high 60's at WOT.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thats about right and he needs 10 million in liability! people standing without a bolster and lifeline pfd at 98 pure stupity . ask me how i know!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I have two friends who run a tournament 38 with 3 275's. One guy gets near 70 with 2 guys lightly loaded and the other gets 77 with 8 guys(I was one of them). Neither of those boats have been to the canyon but I hear they handle rough water real good. I hear when they get on top of the water they scoot across the tops of the wave at 40mph plus.

That being said, the boat I crew on does 24knts in most any condition and I can't remember ever being passed in conditions over 3ft. I'm not saying it's not possible, I just haven't witnessed it. I sure would like a one hour canyon commute though.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ed that sounds about right on the 38 performace. boss mans personel has 3- 350 yamaha bump to 400hp each with offshore ron hill racing props.boat does around 80mph and cannot get up on plane if it stops in ocean in 6-8' . like shark fishing one day and the weather worsen rappily he could not put her up on plane ---wow. you know the score driving her along at 55 to 60 over 3' waves and then there is the one damm 5'. the boat goes into the air and comes down so hard your spinal cord at lower back bangs together ----pain and suffering from that point on.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I've been dieing to get a ride at 50knt on a sporty day. Everyone tells me they can do it but they never call me the day they're going out. Makes me wonder if their telling tall tales.

Even at 24knt I've come back crippled. I ride a beanbag chair for most of the trips now.
randall

Post by randall »

i fluke fish on my friend stanley's B60. its pretty nice to spread out on that 16 foot transom.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

a bean bag, i guess you share the same lower back problems .well you might want to stay away from those 50mph offshore boats . trust me mother nature has the upper hand and that pain lingers on for days is it really worth it!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

Ed, they speak the truth. It is a ride and a half. Simply awesome!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

It's not a pain that lasts for days. Knock nature's perfect alignment out a hair and you start uneven wear on your discs. 10-20 years later you're diagnosed with a pinched nerve, and based on what goes wrong (numbness on your first 3 fingers for example) they can tell which vertabrae is causing it. Disc is worn unevenly and the nerve the disc cushioned is now getting irritated/pinched. Ask me how I know.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I'm pretty sure I will never be on a ride like those - my bobble head wouldn't enjoy bouncing off waves at 50+ knots. I'm hoping I'll be able to handle 20 knots!

One question? How do you avoid the various riprap that floats in the seas at those speeds? I can remember some white knuckled last minutes turns in my B31 at 24kts to avoid minor things like logs, a refrigerator, and even a tree, rootball and all, on the way back from Mudhole! If they were hard to spot at that speed, I bet it isn't easy at triple that speed!

Tom
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tom i can answer that in reality but not physics. at 120mph give or take a few mph. due to differentials (like haze)what ever your brain & eyes tell you that is in front of you does not matter! you will hit it.the worst fear is a fellow racer going over in front of you.at 80mph you can react somewhat to waves but there is a trade off with the tendancy to barrel roll at that speed in the trough. at 70 to 80mph with out a helmet there is differculty looking forward with the wind directly in your face, at 60 to 70 you may see something floating as small as 2" above waterline provided it has color ,a log floating level is a hit . below 60mph you can just about get out of harms way ------if you see it! and if you can keep your eyes concentrated every single minute--------not! ------ speed kills
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Once your into the 70-80 mph and above ,there is little boat in the water Anything that can't be seen from a distance is usually low enough in the water to skip over. Don't forget we're talking outboards and stern drives. Worst I had was a lost prop after hitting something while doing 90+.

It might be different in an ocean swell where the boat can stick it's nose into the waves more, but for the most part at that speed you won't be worrying about holing the hull.

The real hazard would be trying to dodge the object. I watched a guy in a Cigarette hook the boat (I think that's the term)and although the passengers weren't ejected they were all injured to the point where they needed help. And that was in the bay.