Question regarding tank fabricators in Southern California

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

farside

Question regarding tank fabricators in Southern California

Post by farside »

Hi everyone -

A quick question and an opinion request.

As the title suggests, my question is regarding if anyone knows of a fuel tank fabricator in the southern california area or of a boat yard that does top notch work that can handle it.

In essence I never purchased the bertram 31 with BMW diesels I was requesting opinions on last year (here but I came across another boat that was recently put on the market. It's a Chris Craft 30 tournament sport fish also designed by Ray Hunt.

The items I need opinions on is this:

The Bertram 31 with BMW diesels is still trying to be sold with an asking price of 40k (won't offer that much, but thats the asking) which I know floats and is being used at least on a minimal basis (owner has a 38ft that he uses regularly, the 31 is just putted around in minimally). Love the boat and lines. Work on it would be minimal since it is running condition, and just break-fix items at that point.

However, there's the Chris Craft 30 TSF that is listed but it has fiberglass fuel tanks (one main under cockpit at about 180gal and one "day" tank hold approx 50 gal under cabin deck). Ethanol is pretty prevalent in CA, with all fuel sold having 5% ethanol (includes marine fuel). The 30 TSF was brought to SoCal from MI (no ethanol there, fresh water) and the new owner spent about 8k in fixing it up (without replacing the tanks) before deciding to pick up a 38ft bertram that was being sold due to death of owner. The bilge was coated, all lines to the engines replaced, etc.. it looks really clean, with only minor items needing attention (some trim, etc..) all mechanical and electrical items are in functioning order.

I'm hoping to get a realistic ball park on the cost of fuel tank replacement for the 30TSF and compare that to the 31 bert - as I believe that the fuel tanks will need to be replaced and get a better apple to apple comparison. 5% ethanol will dissolve a fibertank correct?

I wish there was a way to tell what resins where used in the manufacture of the fiberglass tanks - chris craft is unable to tell me, and there is no smell of gasoline at all (they feel solid still too).

Thanks.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Ethanol is a fact of life every one of us has tried to deny. Change the tank or convert to diesels. If you don't, you'll eventually change the tank and two engines. Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the 30' chris craft is just about worthless . we have one in another yard your for the $ 50.00 legal work.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

While the demand for the Chris is not like the 31 Bert, it is an excellant sea boat that is as long as it one of the few hundred they made around 74/75 to compete with the 31 Bert. If it isn't then Bob is pretty much spot on about the boat. Will be a tough one to sell in the future.

If you have questions about it maybe Greg (Thumbs Up) will jump in. He is in the middle of restoring or I should say completely rebuilding one right now.

Maybe one of the California Faithfull will know of a good fabricator for you. You would be replacing them with Aluminum at this point.

If I was having a tank made and thought I would need more than the 180 Gallons, I would see if I could get one large tank rather than having the 50 under the cabin sole.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony for 50 bucks and the transportation to nj it may be a deal for someone .ask your friends . boat is in good condition needs engines.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Never been on one, but from those that have I have never heard bad things. I think they just developed a name or a following otherwise they would cost more than $50.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

A good friend of mine has a Cris Craft 30" Tournament (Legacy). I have fished on the boat for a good ten years and spent countless hours trolling, cruising, and going in and out of snotty inlets with it.

IMHO, I trust my life on that boat and its proven that to me from being on it in some real crappy seas.

Doesnt roll like a Bertram, a real good boat. Not saying better than a 31 just saying a good boat.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony the alternative is 30 yard dumpster at 600.00 but you have to seperate oil. remove gas and a& b takes it at 1.75 a gallon. engine,gears must be remove before hand now yard labor . think about it ! nothing wrong with a 30' chris craft but it takes yard space at 600.00 winter 500.00 summer.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

3 years ago a friend of mine would have jumped all of that deal. Would have been close for you since he is Long Island Boy.

I can't beleive no one wants it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Its tempting to just haul it to my backyard.

There is another 30 Chris Tournament in drydock on RT 109 just south of Sunrise next to Hassell Auto Body in West babylon. Actually it was in his yard for a couple of years and now its next door in a lot.

Always wondered about that boat......

I think the 30 Chris and 6BTA's are a good combo.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Farside I'm up in Northern Calif., but I know personally Alex Whitaker of 31bertram.com who I have had make my fiberglass tank for my B31. I do not know if he does one offs in glass, but he's in southern Calif. and problably could steer you in the best direction on certified tank welders or what material you would want.
Great guy to talk to, and of it's a 31 bert he is very knowledgable. He builds ABT trailers for the B31 as well, which I have one too. Not sure about full service boat yards in your area.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

My son had alum.. one made for a 24 skipjack...Berry in Costa Mesa
farside

Post by farside »

Rocky and Wayne - Thanks for the for the info!