Barbara Jean In Holland

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Gert van Leest

Barbara Jean In Holland

Post by Gert van Leest »

Hi guys thanks for the nice words , Russ , your ex is in Holland now, nothing more to do about it.

It was quite a hassel to get her in the water in Antwerp , but after a day of red tape , some bribing , and spending alot of money on a crane, I succeed.
The trip went flawless....What a boat !! I must say I thougth every body was a bit overreacting but incredable wat a sea keeping !! , A nice little big boat this is !!
She is at the yard now , will go on the dry next week and will start the overhaul then.
Can anybody tell me how to remove the side windows in one piece ??

Regards Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Around the inside of the frame, under the felt slider trim, are a series of #6 flat head, straight slot screws. Most likely you'll have to drill them out.

Then work a stiff putty knife between the frame and fiberglass, (top and bottom), and windshield frame, (diagonal). Side window removes from the outside...
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

you are of great help Cap.
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Patrick, is this just to get the actual window out of the frame?
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nope, that's the whole frame with windows still in. But to remove the glass, the frames have to come out first. The upper forward corner has an angle bracket that must be removed allowing the frame to open up enough to remove the glass.
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Gert, glad you like the boat she is a good girl,you take care of her and she will take care of you...Russ

1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Just as a little trivia, Barbara Jean was the very first B31 to wear my over sized rudders...

But, there's more to the story:

When Russ ordered them, he ordered the wrong shaft style and I had the correct set made up and sent to him. This is at the same time Bruce and I were leaving to bring down a 56' Hatteras from Huntington Beach, Long Island.

Russ drove the wrong pair of rudders over to the Hunting Yacht Club and dropped them off at the office. Bruce & arrived a couple days later and picked them up, loaded 'em on the Hat, had our first B31 Rendezvous with Russ, Mike Ohlstein, and one of Mike's friends who also owned a B31.

Bruce and I pulled out the next morning for WPB, FL. On the fifth day, as we were coming down Adam's Creek into Morehead City, NC, I get a cell phone call from a guy looking for a set of over sized rudders for a B30 with a shaft style like the ones I had onboard.

Well, guess what? He's in Morehead, we're here and heading for Jim Bailey's marina on Radio Island.

He get's there about the same time as we do, and the rudders are bought on the spot.

Now if that ain't the luck f the Irish, don't know what is...
John F.

Post by John F. »

and a legend was born....very cool

Gert-

When she's in your waters, please post some pics.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

If you ever need to lift it again, that rear sling should be forward of the shafts, just about even with that chrome vent in the picture.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

That'd be right for a travel lift, where the the slings are vertical and seperated by header bars. For a double sling, single point pick up with no header bars, they have it rigged in the safest manner. Remember the images of the boat slipping free of the slings?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

ahhhh
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315