NY Boat Show

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Anybody go? Report?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

My buddies went. Said it was poor.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i went opening day oakdale yacth had a booth and i went mainly to look at interior desigh. the pursuit had led`s cut into the counter top .and i saw a beautiful mahogony door and frame made for the head i think sunseeker anyways this is one of my winter shop projects so i want to look a bit before commiting to raised pannel door. talk to yanmar for engine spec. and performance on 20' bertram. nice night to relax.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I went. It pretty much sucked, although I have to say that it was packed. Dave Bowfil sold an open 30' Scout with twin Yamaha 350's on it for 450K......and it just got worse from there.

Bayliner was there. Bertram wasn't. Lots of interest in Sea Ray. Less so in Sabre. The Edgewater boats looked nice.

Most interesting thing was a plastic kayak/catamaran set up specifically for fishing.

Biggest let down was that there was no waterskiing squirrel.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Right there with Mike. My favorites were the Regulators, and the yellowfin. Nothing of any real value to me in the building other than that. Went to the Intrepid air and space museum afterwards. Now that was pretty cool. That could be one hell of a party barge!!!!

My favorite part was talking with the retired sailor who served on the Intrepid up in the bridge. That was pretty awe inspiring.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Dug- Back when I was President of the Art Director's Club I had one of our Annual Awards Dinners on the Intrepid. Having cocktails on the flight deck on a June evening in black tie was a very special experience. It was one of our best attended dinners.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

dug i through you have appreciated the hunt display . they had a small bow thruster in there 25' boat with a nice display of raymond hunt`s early achievments such as designing the 31 bertram. real cool early pictures of the 31 bertram winning the bimini-miami race.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

bob lico wrote:i went opening day oakdale yacth had a booth and i went mainly to look at interior desigh. the pursuit had led`s cut into the counter top .and i saw a beautiful mahogony door and frame made for the head i think sunseeker anyways this is one of my winter shop projects so i want to look a bit before commiting to raised pannel door. talk to yanmar for engine spec. and performance on 20' bertram. nice night to relax.
they have been putting lights in the countertops ( and ceilings to look like stars ) of limos for over 20 years, guess boating is that far behind the times
Dug

Post by Dug »

I must have walked right by Hunt. I guess I will see them at the Boston show.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yea robbie i am sure you could have done that lighting. they actually routered the front edge of the corian counter to accept a flush strip of led lighting. it look real good in the dark cabin shining down on the teak/holly floor. while i have you on the phone! i am going to remove the 1" formica crap door on the head and replace with 11/2" styles of mahogony with 1/4" teak insert on top and louver on bottom (needed for return to a/c compressor mounted in bottom of bath vanity) . decorator wants me to insert 1/4" mirror on head side of door glued to 1/4" teak insert. do you think mirror will stand up to unavoidable heavy seas ??
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

use plastic mirror, then you wont have to worry about it breaking. We used it on another boat years and years ago and it holds up great and is fairly cheap considering you can cut it yourself to whatever shape you like and glue it in place, just black out the area behind it.

20+ years ago limos had solid surface looking bars/counters that had recessed in the edge lighting, back then they called it fiber optic lighting, it illuminated the entire edge, not a string of tiny bulbs.

The reason behind the counters/bars being fiberglass that LOOKED like solid surface was to get the long free form look with all the curves. Once the mold was made they extended the edges according to what sized limo was being built and where they wanted the main part of the bar with the television, stereo, and switches to be. They had the corian look and marble, granite look.

Boating picked up on this idea as many of the boat's counters that look like corian are actually fiberglass, so I guess now they are installing led lighting as well.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bob,

Before you choose the led lights, ask to see if they offer the new warm color that's been available.. Some companies have finally started offering it and it's a nice look compared to the blueish glare that's been associated with LED's in the past...

Ray
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

bob lico wrote:yea robbie i am sure you could have done that lighting. they actually routered the front edge of the corian counter to accept a flush strip of led lighting. it look real good in the dark cabin shining down on the teak/holly floor.
Check out solid core fiber optic cable at http://www.wiedamark.com/fiberopticsolidcore.aspx

Light source at: http://www.wiedamark.com/endglowilluminators.aspx

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

dug you have to see a boat show completely . we all remember the best display of a boat in any boat show was the silverton boat at the ny show i think 2003 or 2004? every saleman in the show walk past that 40' opening night !!!
i was thinking a color corrected strip hi-lighting the floor in the cabin at night .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

how was my half black half white searay at the boat show?

was it in a visible location?

fiber optic lighting is the way to go, softer and much smoother lighting over individual bulbs, they have 12volt illuminators on the market
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

my son refused to go to the sea ray display . normally i would just to see differant concepts .unfoutunatly i did not see your entry, but if it was painted it would be best of show!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

40' or 42' silverton best boat ever displayed!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

damm i want to repaint my boat black ! that is sooooo good.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i walk into the sea ray display and roger the owner of CMI had a electronic display . he took me for a 1/2 hour on making a simrad autopilot talk to a older furumo display!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Biggest let down was that there was no waterskiing squirrel.
Hey Mike, don't you know theres a war on.
He traded in his skis for kevlar.

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

ROFLMAO
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Raybo,

I wish I had looked at the other side of the boat. I walked by the scuffed side and thought "what the hell is that doing in a boat show!" then I realized it was a redo. Never crossed my mind that it would be anything more than a buff out. I was short sighted and did not go into the Sea Ray booth either...

Dug
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

dug CMI takes a table within the sea ray display . he is the go to guy if you want to interchanged differant electronic manufactores or exotics like cell phone /video conferance out at sea as well hiding tv antenna with other components within a kvh dome, like your friend at new england bow thruster the best at what he does.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

bob lico wrote:dug CMI takes a table within the sea ray display . he is the go to guy if you want to interchanged differant electronic manufactores or exotics like cell phone /video conferance out at sea as well hiding tv antenna with other components within a kvh dome, like your friend at new england bow thruster the best at what he does.
his office is on the marine max property
randall

Post by randall »

mike...water skis were invented in 1924 TODAY on long island by a photographer. theres a shot of him skiing with a big box camera on a tripod. he started a company and sold the first manufactured skis for........5 bucks a pair.

i'm a font of useless info.