G scale railroading

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

G scale railroading

Post by Bruce »

Anybody into garden railroading?

Been collecting cars for years, guess now I have the time and space to install a layout.
randall

Post by randall »

no...but i have become privy to a regular set up a guy out here has in his basement. its right next door to the house on the bay where i took you and patrick. its pretty mind blowing. its a scale replica of a town in pennsylvania. about 10 permanent employees. lots of research. its built as a period movie set and is completely computer controlled to go through a 24 hour cycle in 10 minutes. my favorite detail was at the drive in........one of the cars has frosted windows and rocks up and down. a friend is a set artist there.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Bruce...

We had a model railroad exhibition here a couple of weeks before Christmas. Took my 11 year old grandson.

The setup was all G gauge.. they had 11 scale miles of track.. complete with villages, mountains, switch yards, etc, etc. Around the periphery was an oval with 4 large diesels pulling 96 cars. Within the large outer oval was several smaller tracks with a commuter train, a long distance passenger train, and a couple of switch engines moving cars around.

The setup was in an empty warehouse, the dimensions of the display were probably 30' by 100'. I had never seen a G gauge setup before.. it was fantastic. Apparently the equipment was owned by several guys who pooled their stuff for this one display.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I know nothing about it. Always wanted to get into it though. I have the space to do it now. Visiting sister and just found a whole bunch of G model stuff. LGB 2119d locomotive and tons of cars with track just piled into boxes. Her husband got it from grandfather. He is trying to clean up the track. I am keeping in mind that my sister taught him how to use a screw driver so I am guessing this is several thousand dollars worth of stuff that will be destroyed. Wish I could take it home with me.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have had antique h.o scale since i was a child. wooden cars and solid brass locomotives. i had a large setup in basement for my son but now his son (7 years old) is into the computer/ video ------brainless nonsence.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I too was an HO guy had a wonderful layout littlerally hundereds of cars and both diesel and steam, matchbox and hot wheels cars as well as some custom built scale model cars. Buildings roundhouses all the stuff. Telephone poles shurbs just thinking about it still makes me sick. Between being a punk and having my own home I stored it in the business warehouse. Burned to the ground March of 95.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I know this is not what you were talking about Bruce but this scale always intrigued me. Wanted to build one around the perimeter of my acreage then I investigated costs!

http://www.moeslocomotiveworks.com/

http://www.h-l-w.com/index.html

http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/links/index.htm
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

what a shame thousands of hours of work .building ho scale houses and buildings from wooden kits and detailing railroad cars with tiny chains,stairs,bells even graffidi on work trains----oh memories
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

bob...i built models for a living for years. i spent months building design models only to have them trashed when the concept sold. this includes an 18 foot long model for disney. they sold the concept with a video of the model than trashed 10 months of work.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

They used to do that at advertising agencies and magazines of finished illustrations. Kept them on file for a while then "cleaned out the files" every once in a while. Today they're worth thousands.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the night genral forman at the nuclear powerhouse built a g scale steam locomotive and cars and tracks . transported to park and gave the children rides all summer long . huge 2-8-4 and tender beautiful. bob left his job (200,000 a year)and became one of a handful of steam engineers working on live steam today as engineer in penn.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
clay

Post by clay »

I tried G scale once but after my first hour I was demoted from Engineer to "Off Site" Station Ticket Collector just because of one small derailment. Im just guessing but I think the guys who built the set felt like Randall did after he handed over his models, in fact as I was leaving one of them whispered "He sure trashed it".

Needless to say I hung up my RR Hat forever.

Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Nothing like an old Addams family train set.........

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HMxJtMoTnx8?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HMxJtMoTnx8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I went the other way with N scale when I was younger.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I've got my old Lionel electric train set in the attic in a wooden dynamite box (coonass fishing tackle box). I have not looked at it in 50 years....should it be worth fooling with? If so, what to do with it?

UV
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Take a look at the ultimate train collection

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-styl ... 19hbt.html
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

UV,

That old Lionel train set is worthless, send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you:)

If your kids don't want it, depending on the vintage I've seen some of that stuff go for big bucks.

Like anything there are big time collectors.

Had a customer for a while named Harry Veras from NJ. Hell of a nice guy and wife. He owned a two story warehouse down the street from Pats old place filled with old, new and antique trains and stuff.

About 10,00 square feets worth. Started to help him put up a layout on the second floor, I then had the heart give out and by the time I got back to work, I lost track of him.

Brass engines and the such. Big Big money.
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, I'll go dig it out and see what model it is. My youngest grandson is 4 and may enjoy it, that is if he plunks down a hefty deposit before his grimy little paws touch it......he's bad, carries a side by side double barrel most of the time, the kind that shoots corks, dead eye.

UV
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Got a bunch of LGB stuff...several locos, lotsa track. Got frustrated with the first try years ago, and all of the stuff is still on a shelf in the shop. I'm planning on trying again, paying more attention to the track bed...

check out this trestle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmP_h6qSExE

fun hobby
randall

Post by randall »

this is the one near my house...would show better with some long shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG6OFdrI1s8
In Memory of Vicroy

Dug mine out, its a Lionel O27 steam engine with 4 cars, needs some CX. Has the track, transformer, etc. Loco is cast iron, almost 4#. Quick google indicates I may have to wait on trading it for a new 911 Porche, the one that does 0-60 in 3 seconds. Shucks.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Show me the man who built that trestle and I'll show you a man who seriously needs to get laid.
randall

Post by randall »

actually i have found that a lot of good sex can fuel creativity and production. seriously.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

actually i found it grounds to be creative also ,yea (building a new top of the line bathroom).
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Show me the man who built that trestle and I'll show you a man who seriously needs to get laid.
Now, that's funny...thanks for the chuckle this am
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

randall wrote:actually i have found that a lot of good sex can fuel creativity and production. seriously.
Most the rest of us just go to sleep after all that work.
Of course it could have something to do with all the begging and pleading and future broken promises before hand.

You the man...........
randall

Post by randall »

bruce.......the key word is not "after".................it's "before".
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

oh thats were i went wrong . thanks to this board i can see all my lifetime mistakes! as i router each plank on a hand made bamboo floor i mumble to myself------------listen to randall-----
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Look at it this way, while you are doing the Bamboo floor Randall is getting creative.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315