Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

UV , need recommendation

Post by Bruce »

For a mid level short-wave transceiver.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Bruce - with a ham radio license? Or marine/commercial?

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

What the hell is a license :)

Just want to talk to my buddies in Cuba and get another couple of boxes of cigars that fell off a customs truck after they were confiscated.

Ham.......that reminds me, I'm hungry.
In Memory of Vicroy

Roger, be back shortly.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

Most all of the newer radios are computer controlled and will operate on just about any frequency if the computer is allowed to tune it there.....but both FCC and EU regs limit the frequency bands that various types of radios can use. Of course, there is a computer code that will "unlcok" the radio as long as it is capable of operating in that mode, ie. on SSB, FM, etc. For example, my ICOM 802 SSB was locked out of certain frequencies when I got it and it took some doing to get ICOM to give me the keystroke sequence to unlock it....so now it will operate on just about any frequency from a light bulb to the space shuttle if I so desire.

I mention the above because there are several radios out there that were designed for mobile ham radio use that can probably be unlocked to transmit and receive on more frequencies than the come out of the box set for. I'm very partial to ICOM and a mobile set they sell is the IC-703 Plus, which is a little ham set that works on the 160 to 10 meter HF (short wave) bands AND the 6 meter VHF ham band.....this means this little radio will transmit and receive both SSB and FM. It only has a 10 watt output, but that will talk a very long way on HF under decent condtions, say a thousand miles....and, probably just as important, it has a built in antenna tuner which will allow you to use it on a long wire antenna if necessary. AES (www.aesham.com) has one in an open carton for 500 bucks or so, they are probably less on eBay.

Another alternative are the ICOM SSB marine radios such as the 700 or 802 which will put out 150 watts outta the box, but they are more expensive. And the super duper desk model ham sets run into the thousands, but will shine your shoes while you talk.

Gimme a call if you want, cell 225 937 1319.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thanks. I'll do some research.

Probably more partial to mobile set due to the easier power consumption using a ac to dc convertor on land power, I have a couple that will put out up to 75 amps dc and the ability to go direct to battery during emergencies or typical FPL power outages.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

UV, are those frequency restrictions built in to the units for USCG and emergency frequencies to keep clear of? Output Wattage too to not override there transmission?
In Memory of Vicroy

Rocky - the whole scheme of frequency regulation goes back to the invention of "wireless" at the turn of the 20th century....the allocation of who can use what frequency, and how much power can be used started out as a noble, common sense arrangement by the governments of the developed world to insure orderly use of the airwaves and for everyone not to "step on" everyone else. It has, like all good gov'mt regulations, evolved into a special interest free-for-all with money as the driving force as the governments sell off the public airwaves for their own profit. Thus, the frequency spectrum available to the general public keeps shrinking as the gov'mt sells off chunks to businesses to use for commercial purposes.

The long range frequencies, say from 1.5 MHz to 30 MHz are now almost all taken up by either governments or private business with government sanction.......a few marine BBB and ham slices remain, but are under attack. The same is true of the higher frequencies that are more line-of-sight. The cell phone and data link areas are jammed up and creeping ever more into the previously public access areas. The govm't argument for pushing the public out of these frequencies is that nowdays you can use satellite phones and data links so no need for long range radio. Bullsh*t.

On the lower frequencies, power is king and hams can - and do - run 1,000 watts all the time using big-ass vacuum tube amps. Power is less important in the higher frequencies and, for example, on the marine VHF band, 158-161 MHz, 25 watts is standard for mobile and 50 for shore stations....but 100 watts is easy to get, but is illegal unless its an emergency.

So the short answer is yes, the frequency allocation scheme is to keep everyone off each other's air space, but the long answer is no, its a money makeing deal for the government. The FCC regs have an emergency exception that pretty much allows anyone to use any frequency with any amount of power in an emergency.

Most radios never reach their potential due to poor antennas and antenna cables/connectors. The best radio is junk with a bad antenna.

On your boat, just unscrew the PL-259 antenna cable connector on the back of the VHF and shoot some CX in the plug and the socket now and then and your radio will love you.....I've seen this trrick drop the SWR from 3:1 to 1.5:1 in a few seconds, and that will triple your range.

Sorry for the ramble. Heading to the camp to tackle the leaky Seastar cylinder that Murphy has firmly in his hands.

UV
algillen

Post by algillen »

Bruce,

I have an Icom M700 SSB + AT130 tuner sitting in the basement collecting dust, which is looking for a new home. If you're interested, let me know at algillen@yahoo.com.

ag
Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

UV great info, thank you. I know in the past it was a definite no no to overide channels with power but things have changed. Sorry for highjack Bruce.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Rocky,
No problem, good question.

Got a Collins 30S-1 just begging to get lit up.

I found a 23 foot modified whip does good on the 20 and 40 meter bands.

I also found in the past that with a small perch on the antenna with an acorn nut glued down, mr squirrel doesn't have a chance when keying up the mike.

Once you get past the burned hair smell, tastes like chicken.

One size does not fit all when your dealing with antennas and frequencies.