Not Bertram, but insurance question.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Greg A.

Not Bertram, but insurance question.

Post by Greg A. »

Getting some conflicting info on insurance. Some balk at me thinking of ins on my 15' whaler. I feel, not a bad idea...got a quote from Boat US at $171 a year, covers purchase price of the boat (they will not go higher), same with trailer...plus liability and what not. Necessary? To high for a basic plan? Any other suggestions? I was gonna also go through same co the house and cars are through, but have not contacted them yet.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Two issues: (1) insure the value, called "hull insurance"; (2) liability if you (or your invitee) runs over a kayak full of neurosurgeons. Most homeowners' policies will cover boat liability ONLY if its un-powered (no motor) or low h.p. motor. Some automatically and without added premium - cover a small boat for hull, but only if its inside a building, etc. Check with your aganet then read your policy to be sure. $171 sounds real reasonable to me for both hull & liability. Also consider adding an umbrella liability policy for extra coverage on top of your existing limits - can be very inexpensive and keep those one-armed neurosurgeons off your back. Remember, the bookies write the policies, so read 'em.

UV
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I agree with uv. I have "agreed to" value insurance on boat + $300k liability (required for umbrella) and then umbrella which takes it up to $1M. Not only neurosurgeons but think about losing power coming into a dock and knocking a hole in one of Capt Pats redone 31's and putting her on the bottom. Somebody's gotta pay to raise her and bring her back to Bristol.

PaulJ
'73 B28 Paladin
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If your 2nd boat is no larger than 16 ft and powered by no more than 25 hp it can be considered a "tender" and covered by the insurance on your larger boat. Check out Traveler's Insurance with your agent.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Try progressive.com I have very favorable rates from them on smaller boats.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I don't have insurance so I can have me boat repaired in case of a mishap....I have it so I can have someone else s boat repaired.

Have a line bust and your 15' Whaler rubs up on a 48' Viking...what if the OB was up and the prop end scratches up the hull. See how much monetary damage it is to have that boat hauled and the little scratches removed...bet ya a whole lot more then the $171 a year.

Now what made me "up my insurance", the wife started asking Lawyers from work out on our boat...
jrhaszard

Progressive Insurance

Post by jrhaszard »

I heard that Progressive insurance was owned by George Soros, a progressive.
BERG1847M80F