Swim Platform Support Design

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marshall Mahoney

Swim Platform Support Design

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

I want to construct and install a swim platform and was thinking it would be nice to NOT have knee brace supports bolted below the waterline. Does anyone have a design has all thru bolts above the waterline? I was thinking of making trianglar shaped brackets, only bolted above the waterline at the 90 deg angle. But -- I fear it may to be secure enough.
--Marshall
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I do not have one. But in waves, stopped, there is alot of forces trying to rip it off the back of the boat.
luis

Post by luis »

Talk with Giff Plume cause he has a swimm platform that can be closed or open by 2 cables and that could avoid the bumping of waves like Brewster says. You can raise down when you need it or you can have it up.
All the best
1969 Hull #313-897
randall

Post by randall »

marshall.....what was wrong with the old one? i thought it was one of the best ive seen.

if you support it from above the braces will always be in the way. also it just seems stronger, gravity and all, to support it from below. whats a few more holes? B31 hulls look like swiss cheese anyway. we should have a contest for the most thru hulls.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

whats a few more holes? B31 hulls look like swiss cheese anyway. we should have a contest for the most thru hulls.
Exactly...
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Marshall,
Once you figure out a good option, please, let me know, I've got a Cabrera platform that doesn't have brackets, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount it. I was thinking of 4 triangle braces underneath that were made out of ss or aluminum. Has anyone seen any after market brackets?
The other idea that I have would be to get my glass man to glass some encapsulated wood triangle braces to the platform and the back of the boat..seems like he might be able to do it without having to re-paint the Alwgrip, but, would have to re-apply the bottom paint on the back.
. Thanks.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
coolair

Post by coolair »

john .. seriously???
those really nice transom fish boxes arent gonna get too many fish in them with a swim platform in the way!
by the way i tryed to rinse off your deck with the hose
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

With all the mods guys do on b31s. I am surprised know one has tackled the tailgate like has been done on the shelter island runabouts. www.chmarineyachts.com

Is this structurally possible on a b31?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

That would involve a lot of real serious re-engineering of the B31 hull and transom. I'd guess about $30-50K worth... Not to mention that resell value could take a dump.

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Maybe just a drop down door........
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Marshall,
Depending on your platform weight plus the occupacy weight the platform will carry, you could use above the water line brackets. But to get the verticle height needed for the load capacity, it would put the platform quite high off the water.

One it would look funny and two make ladders needed to get on the platform.

I did do one platform on a 31 long before the 31 site was up for a fisherman who wanted one that would fold up.

I designed the transom curve to straight across adapter out of (1/4 plate)stainless 2" high. Back, top and bottom and front all welded together with 8 holes drilled thru the back for 3/8 thru bolts with stainless backing plates inside the hull.

Then the owner bought a Teak straight across platform which I mounted to my transom bracket with heavy stainless hinge.

Then on each outside was a folding stainless bracket I designed copying a Deitz plotter pivot which folded in half to bring the platform up against the transom. The brackets had a pin for locking so the platform wouldn't bounce and a catch at the top of the transom for locking the thing in place.

Worked extremely well and with the stainless polished and pasivated looked good.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

mike ohlstein wrote:Maybe just a drop down door........
Like an old union suit trap door?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

CaptPatrick wrote:That would involve a lot of real serious re-engineering of the B31 hull and transom. I'd guess about $30-50K worth... Not to mention that resell value could take a dump.

Maybe not economically reasonable. Still a fairly unique and interesting design.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Mike & Bruce:

Something like this?

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Something about dropping the transom open makes me nervous. I would always looking over my shoulder wondering if a Greek wave is rying to sneak up on me.

Huesso, those stairs are pretty cool. I bet that cost a pretty penny. Have reinforce everything back there to make that work and hold the weight.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Marshall-

Here is apicture of the platform on my boat. it folds up. No supports below the waterline.

underwayfolded up (or at your own slip if you want to pay for 2 feet less)

Let me know if you want some other angle shots.
Giff
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Now that is cool! It has me thinking!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

You and me both, great idea. the best of both worlds...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Giff- That is great.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

Thanks for the ideas!
Giff -- I was worried about the look of supporting the platform with cable/brackets from the top. I think yours looks great! I think I'm going for a similar design.

Randall -- my platform, supports and all, got ripped off the trans. by Katrina. (Still working on the boat in the driveway -- gives real meaning to "Suzie's Pissed"). The missing platform left nine, 1/2" holes where the bolts pulled thru. This would have sunk her if the back of the boat wasn't BARELY supported by some marshy ground. Hence my hesitation with with below waterline brackets... Thanks for the comment on the old platform -- there is a fine line between "custom" and "home made"

Again -- thanks guys

--Marshall
randall

Post by randall »

that platform was "custom". all the way. how many platforms do you expect to get ripped off? that said...giff's is very cool.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Giff, do you varnish or oil the wood dive platform. I'm restoring the teak dive platform that was on the boat. It's sanded down and ready for refinish. I'm thinking that an oil finish will allow you to not slip. A varnish finish might be more slippery. Any advice from divers, or others?
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

I know that some may disagree, but I would never, ever, varnish a swim platform... Oil is way to go and allows the wood to breath.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Varnish teak that will sit in the water is a set-up for a horrible complete strip job and redo in a fairly short period of time. Oiling is the only way to go.
randall

Post by randall »

or not....10 years in refinished once...

In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Unless Randall does it for you...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nothing says welcome aboard like a slick swim platform...or a waxed foredeck.

Ask me how I know....

Okay...I'll tell you. A Dock Acquaintances first boat...they want to go to beach with us so they tag along in their boat. Where we anchor up is a bit of a current and they can't anchor....I tell them more scope...but they let out all the line.... and I mean all the line. So I jump in, grab the line and anchor...put it on my float..tell them to go up current and kill the motor. I swim over with anchor climb on platform which they waxed the crap out of and I proceed to slide from side to side with each passing ripple. Go in boat garb anchor and make my way up front going thru the window opening...another stupid idea...precarious place and you can't hold onto flimsy window frame...anyway soon as my foot hits the front deck I slide right down to the bow rail...again they waxed the crap out of it and being wet it's like ice...let down the anchor...set it and got off that boat ASAP.

Lesson learned...stay off bubble boats especially with bubble head crews.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Warning...on this website I could get shot for this......

Hate to admit it, but I use Cetol. 1-2 coats of the "light" per year keeps it looking nice. I agree with Captain Patrick...oil looks the best. But, Cetol is easy....and for the hours I work, I just don't have time to pamper my teak, and it does not look bad (to the non purist...get compliments all the time in my Marina---Sea Ray ville)....wears prety well also.
Giff