raw water intake thru hull placement

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

fishlook

raw water intake thru hull placement

Post by fishlook »

I'm ready to drill some holes! All the old thru hulls are glassed up and i'm starting fresh. From previous posts and questions I'm going to go with a single thru hull to feed genset and washdown pump. And two 2 inch thru hulls to feed my cummins 300hp 6bta's.

I have seen some of the thru hulls in front of the fuel tank and some located near the shaft logs.

My question is where should I drill the three holes?

thanks

Jay
Jay Jones
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Jay,

What's another hole? Doubling up the intake for gen water and wash down is a potential problem since the wash down pump needs a scoop style through hull, either as an external strainer or standard clam shell, while the gen needs a round flow over so as not to force water past the small water pump, possibly forcing water into the cylinders.

Wherever you decide to drill the holes, dedicate each hole to an individual function... The wash down however can also supply a bait well.

Were it my decision, the wash down pump and through hull would be aft in the center bilge. The gen through hull would be center bilge just forward of the fuel tank bulkhead and the engine raw water through hulls just aft of the rear engine bulkheads between the stringers.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I pulled my washdown off the engine intake. It is so little water that it will not affect the engine temps and I have not had any problems with this method. Put a valve where you Tee it off so that you can close it off if there is ever a problem. I know some will argue with that but I don't like extra holes.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I am gonna go at it (or at least give it a try) a little different. I intend to have 2 washdown faucets. There will be on on each side of the boat.

I am going to tap into the engine discharge water on one side. I think I heard one of the faithful say that they using this system for hot water for winter fishing.

On the other side, I intend to tap into the engine cooling water supply on the cold side of the heat exchanger.

It may not work the way I think.....but what the heck.....I'm gonna give her a try.

hb
hb
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That was me Harry. I have the washdown pump on the port side and a livewell pump on the starboard. For washdown I have a choice of hot or cold saltwater and cold freshwater. The hot is drawn off the Sendure discharge line.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31