FLL show & random thoughts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

FLL show & random thoughts

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Returned from FLL yesterday having enjoyed the company of the Faithful. To cut to the chase, none but a few of us would have ever met but for this site. We all know it, but it is just amazing that such a diverse bunch of people could become best friends. Yep, Capt. Patrick put us together. Turns out "us" became best buddies, guys you can bond with, and we have.

The FLL show continues to amaze me, the boats get bigger and more expensive. The hot item this year is the underwater thru hull lights, must be a dozen venors selling them.

The Bertram factory people treated us right. They appear to have decided to market the company's history to new buyers, realizing that the old hard core owners like us will sell boats to new folks. To me a very decided change in course, and one I think is wise. Let's face it, us B31 owners are the hard core of the hard core - we are the hood ornament of Bertram Yacht.

We cannot expect any outside money to support this site, so we must continue to do as we have for years, put our money where it counts. You guys contact me for some easy Christmas shopping with the CX stuff, as all the profits from now to the end of the year go to this site. So far there is a fair amount that will go to the site, but we can do better. Some lurkers have done good.

For example, a box of 12 four oz. CX for Guns squeeze bottles I will sell you for $51.36 + minor shipping, a great gift for your hunter buddies. How about the one oz. ReelX lube squeeze bottle for $79.68 for a box of 24? Do the math, it's a cheap, delivered to you door stocking stuffer for your list. Oh yeah, the little 6 oz. aerosol cans of original "red" CX I'll let you have for $63.96 for a box of 12. I have all this in stock and can ship right away, and remember, at these prices there ain't much profit, but it all goes to support this site.

OK, I'm done selling. To order, email me at the office, VLR@RKKDLAW.COM or at home, royvictor@cox.net. If you want to talk about it, use my nickel, 800 260 9908.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The only real excitment was a women who was a Donzi owner staying at the flop house got drunk and threw up on the steps. That and we lost power for 1/2 day.

There was an incident involving Pat, but its one of those ones that if you weren't there, it can't be repeated.

The typical massive, stop in the middle of the narrow walk ways to talk crowd attended the show.

More butt ugly, euro trash designs are the norm anymore.

All in all if it weren't for the group getting together, I wouldn't go.

But then I see this stuff everyday. Sometimes 7 days a week, not far off from 365 days a year, day in, day out.

I don't count sheep at night, I count Bayliners and Sea Rays being dumped at the landfill.
Over and over till the pounding in my head has got me screaming in agony.
Stop, the voices are killing me. Why won't someone please turn them off.

Where's my freaking hat!

Wait, concentrate on a happy place. Think of the happy place. There, the pressure is lessening.
Dancing and laughing in the special place.

What would I do without those Teletubbies.................................
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'm sending you a dozen rolls of the 36" wide heavy duty aluminum foil, along with folding instruction for a new hat.

We'll shut those bastards up, for sure.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks to the boat show I was able to meet Peter, Bruce and Capt. Pat. They even came down to the Hyena to give me some good ideas. Oh yeah, and now I have my mug shot in my profile. I wanted to hit the flop house but time did not allow for me. I will try next year.

As for the big nasty boats, yeah, there was a lot of em. so much money it is hard to imagine. I could trade in my boat and buy maybe the airfilter for one of the big ones. To me they all look the same. The only one that really does anything for me is the one capable of 62 kts.

Other than that I never saw any bayliners or searays runaground in the ICW. I guess it is a keys thing.

Coming up on 20 hours on the motors. Time to change tranny fluid. Kevin
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bruce,
I've got your hat from Sid, I'll drop it off when my other car gets here. Most of the boats were butt ugly but the silicon women made up for the lack of boat designer taste. The puke was still there Sunday aftenoon, the flop house still keeps it's minus 4 star rating, despite the reservation screw ups and the lack of mastering the English language, most of us have slept in worst places, has your itching stopped yet. The tee shirt that Thudd gave the Bertram girl was beging used as a oil absorbing rag in the ICW when I left and there still looking for his deposit check on the the 60. Dug S. have Liz post the picture of Timmy in the chair of his dream boat. It was great to see all the faithfull and the suprise visit from Randell and Karen. The Wille Nelson look a like still hates a crowd, especially black shirted punks. Rick is a sawrey like a hasa. As one of the faithfull said it was a great gathering of highly opinionated people. Looking forward to the next gathering, we missed you Doc.
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Opinionated?????
I'd like to thank the taxi service to the airport, that was provided by the flop house. Never have been able to ride in the mac daddy of pimp mobile's before. Also never had a white driver before. After we got to the airport bar, Big Doug said he forgot to tip the driver.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Bruce & Pete started the damn itching thing Friday morning and I haven't stop thinking about itching since I got back to P'cola Sunday morn. HA! yall's rooms had them damn bed bugs!

Elizabeth's non english speaking cleaning (YAK GAL) took my damn new fusion razor for her arm pits & legs and other area's I wish not to mention I guess. She never could clean, I was lucky enough to have the same room I had in 2001 and it was still the same in 2006. Pete in my opinion minus 5 star rating. She got a ways to go to get to a (4).

It was good to see everybody again and meet the new faithful that I haven't met before. Thudd thanks for the Hatt. shirt, one of my daughters is enjoying it as you know a true faithful B31 guy could never wear a Hatt. shirt.

Tommy, thanks for breakfast again. Ric, I hope feel better now than you looked Sat. morning at breakfast, Andre & Lyman said you slowed them down. Russ & Linda enjoy the quaterdeck with Captian Morgan coming by and handen out shot's to us except Linda was drinking wine.

Bruce & Capt. Patrick's graphic art work on the fuel tank was getting alot of attention on our trek back to P'cola. Drinking clears with Vic on the 4th floor balcony, enjoyed it guys until the next gathering.

(Extra Thanks) goes out to Bruce for hauling that fuel tank to the flophouse. I owe you one! Thank goodness it was Donzi puke on the stairs and not Bertram and yes what is said at the flophouse stays at the flophouse. Capt. Patrick as always its a pleasure for sure.

R,
Doug Q
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Come on DQ, tell everyone what was on the back of your tank, better yet post a pic.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Timmy,

Oh you must be talking about the scene were the Wolf is howling at the moon or the Bertram logo? Because the artist who drew the other scene will have to do that. Copyright rules apply! Did Capt. Pat. get a picture? or do I need too?

R,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

I'm guessin Catp Pat needs to approve the pic, and that you know xcactly which one I'm talking about
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Timmy, Capt. Patrick has the picture, so lets see if he will post it.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Now thats what I'm talking about..........wooooohooooooooo
scot

Post by scot »

Bruce...I'm with you on most comments, but lumping SeaRays with Bayliners???

The older Searays are Ray Hunt designs and not that far off the early Bertram hull designs. The original boats built by SEARAY (as with Bertram) were of extremely good quality. I've spent the last 8 years with a 71' and it is one thick, tuff old boat....great ride and very solid.

No the QA/QC that Bertram used was not present on the old SeaRays, they just added more glass to end up with tuff boats (low tech method)

I have now torn into both boats, down to the stringers...my 69 25' Bertie and my 71 22' Searay. The Bertie is built better...this is not contested, but the older SeaRays certainly DO NOT belong in the same sentence with Bayliner!

Sorry I missed you guys in Fla. Bruce; I'm sure this was a TYPO on your part.

Scot
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
randall

Post by randall »

scot....once had a 22 sea ray....not a terrible boat and certainly no bayliner....but not a bertram either........specially when its snotty......which was not today.....maybe the nicest november1 in the history of the planet(on eastern LI anyway).....70+ degrees and dead flat ,no wind at all.....almost never happens....ran out there for a few hours even though i really didn't have the time
RussP

Post by RussP »

Linda & I had a great time as usual. I'm sorry iIkept the Donzi woman & Lyman up Friday night but Andre wanted to talk politics and Doug & Chick were egging him on.

Till next year,
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
In Memory of Vicroy

Russ - your pay back for getting the drain for my Racor is on the DHL truck as we speak, thanks again. Geezzz - how little problems can be solved so easy by having good friends all over. Enjoyed being with you and Linda once again.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

DQ,
Havn't itched like that well, since Angela Scarpelli in high school.
Wife was a little suspicious.
Good luck with the tank.

Mike,
Tin foil is only good to keep out the signals the government broadcasts at night to lull us into thinking they are here to help and to signal the mother ship when it returns.
It also protects us from alien abductions and being sexually probed by them. Although some of the guys at the flop house might have enjoyed that.

Timmy,
That drawing was just for your pleasure. That was drawn in the deepest part of North Miami while waiting for Regino to open the shop.

Pete,
Take that hat and one of your wife's horses and..........nevermind.
Thanks. See you soon.

Scot,
I'm sure you can find a model and year of a boat that might be good, in fact the 18' center console Bayliners were a decent boat also, but all in all it was not a typo.

Kevin,
Good luck with the boat and hatch repairs. Need any pointers, just call.

Almost burnt down the G-Man's room. And the rest of the Flop House. Maybe it would have been a good thing.
Good thing we checked the cord.

Like I said before, its only worth going because of the gang.
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, on the other hand, we finally got the price of the Flophouse. Me & Tommy were waiting for the elevator - yep, the Flophouse has an elevator - and the Bambooshka comes out a door and Tommy, the consummate real estate broker, asks her if the Flophouse is for sale to him and Uncle Vic. "Ya, ya, it for sale" with a smile. Tommy: "how much?" She thinks a minute: "$8 million". Tommy: "we are interested".

A short time later I take the elevator down from the top (4th) floor to get something and the Bambooshka is waiting, tugs on my sleeve and says "you really wanna buy this place?". I look her in the eye and say "no, but Mr. Drake is up there looking for his checkbook, don't leave early". She usually leaves about 4 or 5 before the power line loses the 3d phase (now you guys know why I always get room 403, all on the other phase, but you guys are my friends, so I offered to let you sleep in my room). So anyway, we go down for dinner next door and the Bambooshka is waiting. "Where Mr. Drake, where Mr. Drake?". I told her he was talking to his Swiss bank for financing.........

That quoted price would calculate out to about 400 grand a room for a place that only gets 65-100 a night during the boat show......... you do the math.

Mr. Drake, you found your checkbook yet? The great thing about the Flophouse is the laughs.........bug? what bugs....

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV,

Bugs! The laugh is, the water looked better at Port Eads coming out of a faucet in what use to be the Pain Killer lodge than the flophouse #404. Now thats really saying something other than the smell of the water. But hey its the flophouse huh! Had some friends over at the Bahia Mar Lodge and the toliets back up in there room and had to be moved. So Bugs & Colored water not to bad after all.

R,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
randall

Post by randall »

thought it was a fun place to visit...but i wouldnt want to live there.......and she did let me park when i visited..........caren and i had a great time visiting and goin to the show....and as usual....every new person we meet in this small world is an instant friend.....liked the look on patrick's face when he finally realized it was me....
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Doug,

Regarding your lost razer, I asked Elizabeth if the cleaning girl was her daughter; she responded "seesta", I said "your assistant?", she said "no, my leetle seesta". So, they keep it all in the family. It was humorous that there were signs on the door "No smoking in rooms", yet Elizabeth's sister was puffing away as she stripped the rooms and threw the linens and towels on the ground below. Someone commented that they just hosed them off and dried them for reuse. Have you ever seen thinner towels in your life?....you could read a newspaper through them. Bruce and I offered to help the maintenance man change out an air conditioner, but in similar broken English he responded "no problem...".

Vic,

Elizabeth asked me if I would be the buyer, and I asked her: who do you think has the serious money in this group? She responded: "Oh, that would be Vic or Ric for sure". I winked at her and walked away. Just remember, she has your credit card number.

It was great to see everyone.

Tommy
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

I had a great time. Wondered who puked on the stairs-assumed it was Timmy but he denied it. 82 million for a yacht-still reeling from that one & it was ugly !

Pete- I think that was Tim's way of thanking you for giving us a ride to the airport.

Russ- I need those bushings for the bottom fo the Racor's per our discussion. Don't blame Andre's comments on me and my goading- you stepped into most of them. Liberal's...... call me cell # is 410-353-8240

Patrick & UV good to see you gentlemen again. Anyone that can put up with Andre, Timmy and I all at once deserves an accomodation. Patrick no issues with the bimbo thing.

Bruce- great to a face with all the sage advice over the years. Your wit is even better in person.

Timmy- I'm thinking it's really Kathi I like not you.

Randall- good to see you again.

Dug & Liz- good to hang out with you two again.

Judge,Mike O, Doc Eli- you gentlemen were sorely missed.

4 days and didn't come close to seeing it all- what a boat show.
In Memory of Vicroy

I think the top line of the show was one we know introducing a woman as his "second string girl friend". I knew it was gonna be downhill from there, and it was........

Glad I'm old as dirt and went to bed early.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Tommy,

Funny thing about those damn towels she would change out in your room,
did anybody notice that they cut (1) towel, into two halfs to make (2) towels.

No wonder those towels were small! You gotta lov-it, for only $8 mil what
the hell did we every expect, it is always interesting & fun!

R,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Doug C, screw.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Liz and I had a great weekend. We really enjoyed seeing everyone again, and in some cases for the first time! I really like putting faces to names.

Russ, JK, Lyman, it was great to finally meet you guys in person! I know I forgot others, but it was a busy weekend, and it was so much to see, meet and do.

Tommy why is it every time we see each other in Lauderdale it is for only about 30 seconds?

What a show. Liz really enjoyed seeing so many big and impressive boats. Personally I was blown away. We crawled over tons of fiberglass with Tim and Kathy, as well as Doug. The Deutz diesel boat was a mindblowing way to start the show off. The little flats boat with the Steyr diesel and jet drive was killer. First we stopped at Hatteras, and I thought the 77 had the worst layout I have ever seen. Then to Bertram. Wow it was nice to be treated like a rock star... Nice people, and good solid boats. Don, if you read this, thank you. I can't wait to come by for another plant tour to see how much has changed since I had a tour with Marty back about 6-7 years ago.

The most amazing boats to me, or perhaps impressive had to be the Viking line. So much attention to detail and clean lines. They do build a great boat. Unfortunately a lot out of my price range, but wow to dream.

So many littler boats, like the 47 Intrepid, and a whole list of other stuff. Mostly it was just really nice to get out of this NE shit weather, and enjoy a blast of warm days. To sit with Liz by a pool is never bad.

It was great to see everyone, and thanks for the hospitality. And thank you Patrick, as ever, for creating this amazing place. I am forever grateful.

Dug
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Dug,

It was good to bump into you and Liz on the dock that day. I usually go down the day before the show opens and catch the Thursday show day because it's less crowded; then I head out late Friday or early Saturday. I like the Bertram gang, but I hate the big crowds. Glad ya'll had a good trip.

Tommy