confused fisherman!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

confused fisherman!

Post by bob lico »

this morning went out for bass. here is the story ; small craft warnings,waves 4' to 6',water temp 54 degrees and winds out of west at 30knts. i went east to davis park fire island . i saw the birds although no garnets they were diving in one area so i shut down engines and let west wind push me to the area only one other boat out there a commercial 45' downeasterner . my son spotted 100lbs class bluefin tuna close to the surface chasing the herring. i rigged up one fisherman with hammered jig gree tube ,next a golden colored hammed jig ,next a-47 diamond jig with tube . nothing, nothing not even a nudge . try casting bass assasins to see if they were on sand worms nothing . tryed using teaser two feet forward of jig still nothing . what would the pro`s like jp or brewster do i am at wits end!! pod moving west with herring .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
billyo

Post by billyo »

Live bait..
New member of the Bertram clan.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ok live bait how to i catch live herring without going to close to the rocks at our inlet.these tuna are in 55' of water ripping into the herring school at the 40' area in the water column. the sand ells are on the bottom for the most part. very large bluefish and tuna are in and out of the migrating herring.we release all the bluefish but they keep the guest happy bending rods .i use 6' 50' flourocarbon before the jig still no luck.tommorow morning the seas and wind prediction is mild so the tuna will be prop shy but i just posted to get the pro`s opinion.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob you can try to pick up herring along the fishing pier on the south side of captree with a sabiki rig. If there in the bay thats an easy place to load up.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

We had some luck earlier this month with diawa sliders and spinning gear on the jersey side. I heard they were the hot lure up in the cape cod area so we gave it a shot but any thing similar should put you in the game. Those fish are hard to catch, we had only had two hook ups in 4 trips and tried everythng we had.
billyo

Post by billyo »

Up here in assachusetts we use the sabiki to catch ,pogies,macks,and herring. Tuna and Striper candy

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Kite a herring or two. Or Troll 6 knots with large deadly dickes in the foam with the hooks switched out to something bigger. Just sayn
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sounds differant brewster one of the die hards went out to that spot and said they ignore everything these are big fish balling up these little 3" fish and them swim thru it . i would imagine you could go with a couple of 5 gallon pails of cut up bait like bucker a change there feeding habit with a hooked bait in there after long chuming . sal said they looked like there were a few 200 pounders breaking the surface.i will make another attemp tommorow morning with herring or trolled with deadly dick.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The fish your are going for are keyed into one type of bait.

If you can't match the hatch with the real thing then timing becomes everything.

The birds will see the bait before you will watch a few birds that hit the blasts first. Keep an eye on them and position the boat up wind. As they start to gather start throwing some "sliders"- lipless plugs to imitate the baits they are eating. Poppers produce crashes but because tuna feed on the rise they tend to miss as many as they hook. A slider will run a foot or so under water and allows a tuna to correct at the last second creating a better hook up ratio.

Diawa and Shimano make some nice sliders, big spinning rods and 12- 15 lbs of drag, too much drag and you straighten hooks out.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

In cape cod bay guys use sluggos...little weight in the head, bigger hooks like brewster suggested...they come in a pile of colors..some guys even troll them..but they dont turn for sh*t.. bh
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

ditto on the deadly dicks and sluggos. don't be afraid to try kastmasters etc either. but like brewster said, change out the hooks and rings.
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

went out sunday and as predicted ocean was a lake. off watch hill fire island there were small bass and undersize schoolies . some guys hooked 50lbs atlantic sturgeon and released after quite a battle. i was there to make one last try at tuna . the big guys move out and 40 to 50 lbs bluefin move in . i casted castmaster -----no good a-67 no good then assasins ---no good crippled herring----no good too many boats to troll so i went home empty handed but armed with a wealth of knowlege from the pros who moniter this site. jp has it right; when there feeding there is no way in hell to change them. at this time of the year they are very pickie. i change out hooks the night before and was prepared rod and reel wise but i need more experiance i guess. this late bluefin run occur same time last few years at around 52 to 54 degree water and big bait schools swimming ajacent to fire island in 50 to 75' of water.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
billyo

Post by billyo »

bob lico wrote:went out sunday and as predicted ocean was a lake. off watch hill fire island there were small bass and undersize schoolies . some guys hooked 50lbs atlantic sturgeon and released after quite a battle. i was there to make one last try at tuna . the big guys move out and 40 to 50 lbs bluefin move in . i casted castmaster -----no good a-67 no good then assasins ---no good crippled herring----no good too many boats to troll so i went home empty handed but armed with a wealth of knowlege from the pros who moniter this site. jp has it right; when there feeding there is no way in hell to change them. at this time of the year they are very pickie. i change out hooks the night before and was prepared rod and reel wise but i need more experiance i guess. this late bluefin run occur same time last few years at around 52 to 54 degree water and big bait schools swimming ajacent to fire island in 50 to 75' of water.
I have driven my self crazy chasing Tuna that wouldn't bite. I finally realized live bait on a balloon or under a kite is the answer. Sometimes they just won't bite. I have had times when they would follow my lure every cast but never bite it no matter what i tied on. Other times they will hit anything that moves.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Out our way the expression is "those fish ain't got no mouths!". Don't be discouraged Bob. There are times when they'll take anything, and there are times when they're taking nothing you put in front of them. It is a wonderful sight to see though, and I take solace in knowing that 98% of the world has not seen what you and I have seen on our days on the water. National Geographic has nothing on us!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Bob,

This migration run has been happening for the last several years. Many times on the radios, I would here people chasing the tuna, but with no luck. I too have seen them crashing bait around me while I would troll for bass. About 4 years ago, one of my friends actually hooked up trolling a bunker spoon and wiped out his trolling reel. You must match the catch with these fish, and there is no changing their minds. These fish are definitely on a mission.
Harv