Saute' oysters

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Saute' oysters

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Just had some saute' oysters that turned out real good. Oysters have been hard to get down here because of the oil spill, but today my son, Capt. Brent, brought his ole dad a sack of the finest I've had in a while. I slurped some on the half shell, then did a saute' for me & Miss Elaine for supper. Thought I'd share the recipe with y'all...may have posted it in the past, but this one is a little different.

Take a big cast iron skillet or dutch oven and melt 3/4 stick of real sho' nuff salted butter. Add a little (say the equivalent of a half stick of butter) extra virgin olive oil. Now chop 4 or 5 green onions real fine and toss them in the saute' skillet and very slowly simmer them. Take about 5 or 6 cloves of fresh garlic and squeeze them in through a fine garlic press - or you can use the jar minced garlic but it ain't near as good as fresh pressed. Now stir this around and very, very slowly saute' it for 10 or 15 minutes, stirring a lot to keep it from burning. Now add about 3 tablespoons of cooking sherry and a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice and contine to slowly saute' the whole mess. Take 3 or 4 dozen shucked oysters in their juice - we call the juice the "oyster likker" down here, and drain the oysters in a collendar, being careful to catch the likker in a bowl. Wash the oysters to get all the grit and shell out and drain again. Now start adding some oyster likker to the saute in big spoon fulls and let it all cook down, then add more likker and wine, let it cook down.....to do this right, you need to stand over the skillet and drink martinis and add likker, wine, and occasional lemon juice to the saute' for about an hour. Thin it, cook it down, thin it, cook it down, and this concentrates the flavors. Keep tasting it and when its ready you will know. Never add any salt to this, never.

Now take your drained oysters and dump them in the saute' skillet and spread them out gently and set your timer for THREE (3) minutes...gently stir the oysters around in the suate' and watch for the edges to "curl". As soon as they do, take the skillet off the heat and they are ready to serve over toast (I use toasted french bread with a little melted butter, olive oil, and garlic powder brused on, then do under the broiler).

You can also do shrimp in this saute. The trick is not to over cook the oysters....three minutes is max, more like two is better as you just want the oyster to start curling. Five minutes max for shrimp, and if you have 'em, scallops can be done, but onely a minute and a half.

The multiple thinning and cook-downs of the saute' is the key to real cajun cookin'.

Y'all enjoy it.

UV
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I think a restaurant by the name of Uncle Vic's should be your next venture! Any recipe you have sent me or posted here has been delicious! You are kind of the male Paula Deen......first you start with a roux.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I've done his recipe so many times since Vic first posted it and it sure impresses my oyster slurping friends. Again, Vic, Thanks.
Oh, by the by Vic, Happy Animalversary to you and Ms. Elaine. 44 years with you and she hasn't killed you yet. What a triumph!

If you can't get the best oysters there, try these folks from here.

https://www.rroysters.com/Admin/Shop_Sh ... id=Oysters

or

http://www.jandwseafoodonline.com/Shell ... s_s/47.htm
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Thanks, Mikey....yep, 44 years tomorrow. We are celebrating by going to the camp after lunch tomorrow and taking our middle grandson (11) to slay the giant garfish. I shucked the rest of the sack of oysters this morning with my monel oyster knife....will saute' some later.

All is well......

UV
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

UV...

Thanks for the recipe! I have been waiting for another from you!

Glad you are back to normal.. enjoy this Thanksgiving to the max!

Frank B
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

I'm gonna try this recipe for sure. I still use UV's Jambalaya recipe for friends and they love it.

Mikey,
I got these from J&W for thanksgiving. They came out of the York River and were down right tasty! I hope you are doing well!

Look at the size of these compared to the handle of the knife!

-Chiles
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Chiles,
Sent some to my Chairman in FL. He is from the Bay and said they were the best in years.
Had some left over from an event a few weeks ago and hung them in the creek in a crab pot. Took them to the Club and roasted them for the guys. There was a stampede at the bar, and for once it wasn't for the bottles!
Come see us.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Mikey

Oyster saute redux

Post by Mikey »

Vic,
Did an oyster saute for the Club's annual meeting. Quadrupled the recipe you gave and they went berserk! wanted to take a picture of them leaving the kitchen but the trays emptied as fast as I filled them. Never had a reaction like that for anything I've ever prepared. Coincidentally at the meeting I received the Club's highest service award. Amazing what a couple quarts of oysters will buy.
Damn it's cold in the Old Dominion.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein