Awlgrip problem

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

Awlgrip problem

Post by Mikey »

When we painted Dreamsicle that pale orange it was a special mix from Awlgrip, actually Awlcraft. After five years (mostly covered) white spots started appearing in the paint. Just before launch we resprayed the stern and the results are the same as the rest of the boat. They are not water spots as they do not wipe off. They will buff out. As the owner of the yard where I haul said, "they look like pigment failure." About four buffings and the paint is gone, so what now?
Awlgrip took some of the left over paint and said they would "test" it. From my discussion with the local rep Awlgrip was sold some years ago.
"So," I said, "this means you bought the assets but not the liabilities?"
His response was not favorable. I may get free paint from them but nothing else. So . . .
Has anyone else faced or heard of this problem and what was the outcome?
What legal rights do I have, if any?
If their tests are not conclusive and I repaint Am I pissing away a bunch of money? The yard has told me they would "work with me" on the cost. In this economy I see their ploy.
What you got, guys?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Mikey - most states have fairly short statutes of limitations (time limits) on lawsuits over defective products. Rawleigh can tell you what be'z the deal in VA.

That's all I got to say since I'm retired and don't give legal advice much no mo'.

But on the paint, maybe something bleeding thru from underneath? Like water? Or the primer? Any chance someone else oversprayed something nasty, like clorox?

UV, the ever helpful......
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

see what the results are, if they say the paint is fine then its a application error

but what do you mean by white spots? large areas? oxidized?

you say covered- do you mean you cover the entire painted area with a cover when the boat is not in use or do you mean it is kept in the shade?

at least if all else is good you are talking a sand and shoot, no primer needed, so the cost should not be as bad
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pollen?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

White spots that look like water spots. Cover as in a boat house(shade). No Clorox, too even all over.
She was stripped and primed before paint.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mikey: As UV said, unless you have a written warranty that says otherwise and extends the statute of limitations, you are probably out of luck. Take the free paint if you can get it (and want it)!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Raybo Marine NY

that is very odd. You would think the awlgrip rep would be very interested in what is going on.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Awlgrip is owned by AkzoNobel... Been quite a while since US Paint sold.
They also own Interlux, and Sikkens. They've been good to deal with on the small scale that I have. I'd think they'll be upfront with their test results... but I'm not the smartest guy in the world/

Could be a million different things.
Surfactant leaching, amine blush from primer, inadequate mixing of catalyst, contaminant in paint or reducer... etc.

Take some pics and post 'em Mikey.

Whats strange to me is that it showed up simultaneously in the paint applied to the transom, as the rest of it applied years prior.
Could signify an outside influence... I'm thinking it's because of Deepwater Horizon, contact your local BP claims office.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Raybo Marine NY

the transom was re-sprayed and it appeared again, it is safe to say it is a problem with your paint because you used the same can of paint to do the touch up.

Most of them are only liable for the paint itself, not labor, but if the yard has a good relationship they may be able to get some compensation for the repair, but that is slim.