Gelcoat Match- floor access hatches & hull

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

redcat20

Gelcoat Match- floor access hatches & hull

Post by redcat20 »

Gang,
I have a 1970 Bert that the marina put some minor scratches in the hull of earlier this year.
The gelcoat guy was supposed to come by, see the boat and match the color. He didn't. So the marina guy suggested pulling a floor access hatch and bringing it to the gelcoat guy for match up.
I pulled the small (8"*12") hatch from between the v berth. And I put it up against the hull to double check the color.
It seemed like there was a slight color difference between the hatch and hull making me concerned about having the gelcoat guy match the hull with only the hatch in hand. It's not a lot of difference, but I noticed it.
Neither the hull nor the hatch appear faded from time, or re-covered by gelcoat or paint over the years.
Were they supposed to match-originally? Did they? Any other ways to provide the gelcoat guy with a sample so he can follow thru on his original task of matching the hull gelcoat?
Redcat 20
Redcat20
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Remember, these boats had plywood decks not fiberglass. So your deck is not original.

Oyster white is the closest color you are going to get. You can also try this site.

http://www.minicraft.com/retail/bertramyachts.htm
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

matching the gel coat color is an art, not like going to the paint store, the uv takes it's toll as well as age, a gel coat expert will color test areas in inconpicuious ares untill it's color correct, oyster white does change with time and mr sun has some influance, color is easy , non skid texture is more challenging