Headliner repair

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Headliner repair

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Not on my B31 but the old Tahoe....the brake light on the top of the vehicle got busted by a falling limb and water leaked into the headliner causing the glue to fail and it to sag. Someone recc'd 3M two sided tape but it won't stick at all, even after scrubbing the metal top with lacquer thinner. I've used the 3M spray automotive contact adhesive on my Soundown with good results, but its gonna be difficult to get the spray inside the sags.....but I guess I can cut the sags open with a razor, spray, then lay it back in?

Its a 97, but low miles and we keep it around as a spare vehicle so don't wanna spend a bunch getting a new headliner put in.....on that subject, anyone got a guess how much a new headliner is, installed?

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Have you tried Contact cement? If applied to both sides and allowed to dry, then carefully bring the pieces back together from front to back smoothly to avoid trapped air bubbles (if space allows, I usually put a piece of waxed paper in between as a slip sheet to avoid accidentally touching two pieces together). This is the same stuff used to adhere Formica but is completely flexible. For what it's worth.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

One of the guys in the same complex as my old Fl shop re-did auto interiors. Replacement headliners are dirt cheap and usually install within a few hours to a day.

Check: Car Body Parts
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Vic- Top's Unlimited has been around for quite awhile in Baton Rouge
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, I'll call around and get some prices.....no sense in undertaking somehting tricky a pro can do in a snap.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If you don't mind the ugly look, you can get headliner repair "tacks" at the auto parts store. They stick through the headliner like big thumbtacks and hold it back up.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
coolair

Post by coolair »

you could also try to put some adhesive in a syringe and insert it in the dip and try and smooth it out, kinda like on a buble in wall paper
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
In Memory of Vicroy

Per Rawleigh's suggestion I used my $99 Chinese nail gun and it worked pretty good, and the nails sticking out the top will keep surly democrats from loitering on my vehicle.

The outfit Andre suggested just came and got the truck and is gonna replace the headliner, pull the nails, and bring it back to me, all for reasonable money.

Going to lunch with Andre and Lyman the G-Man to celebrate.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

They just brought it back with a showroom headliner, not a wrinkle, crease, sag, just like new....amazing. Didn't even ring the door bell, just left it in the driveway.....so I made a Thank You Call to the folks, something that has become a lost art nowdays. They were very appreciate of that.....we all need to remember to thank folks that do us a good job, and it will make the world a happier place.

Thanks Faithful for steering ole UV right.

UV